How to install flash2pass

HappyWhenRiding

Registered
I received this Flash2Pass motorcycle garage door opener. At first I was excited that I wouldn't have to carry the remote in my pocket any more. Unfortunately, the only information on it is how easy it is to install. I'm not a mechanic and I have no idea how to get to the "two outside" wires. For that matter I don't know where they are or what they look like either. :banghead:

Can someone post a few pics of their install? Maybe a quick walk through?

Thanks.

I will assume that it installs on the left controls. I don't know when they started the flash to pass, but it was on my '06. If I had access to the electrical drawings I could tell you what wires to look for but I don't.

Hopefully someone with experience will be along.

It looks like we live in the same town, maybe we can figure it out together! I have my opener wired into my Gen1 so when I use my F2P switch it will open /close my garage. The only downside is I have to remember to leave the highbeam switch on when I park or the 9 volt battery in the opener will drain. I haven't figured out how to eliminate it yet. My house was built in the mid to late 90's so the garage uses a older style opener (big off white two button with internal code set switches). Let me know if you would like to try and figure it out, I work at a car dealership so I have access to some tools.

I took one of my garage door openers and wired directly to my flash to pass button. All you have to do is figure which two contacts on the circuit board of the opener prompt the door to open. Simply take a piece of wire and short contacts together until the garage door opens and then closes when they are shorted again.

Now, open the left control block and snip the wires that go to the flash to pass contacts. Then, solder some 24/22 AWG wire from the flash to pass button contacts to your opener contacts and hide the opener in the dash or under the tank.

You are done! I did this in about 30 minutes and have been using the flash to pass button for the past 4 years to open my garage door.

Sous; I was wondering what kind of batteries your opener uses? In a previous house I lived in the opener used the button cell type batteries and when I tried to wire the unit into the bike it fried it because it was getting too much voltage I assume.

Sous; I was wondering what kind of batteries your opener uses? In a previous house I lived in the opener used the button cell type batteries and when I tried to wire the unit into the bike it fried it because it was getting too much voltage I assume.

That is just it, you are not wiring the remote into the bike in any way or form. You are simply adding a second activation button to it by adding the flash to pass button to the circuit. I want to say that my remote uses a 9v disc type battery, but to be honest I don't remember. The high beam wires are completely removed from the flash to pass switch, at the terminals. I left the wires there as I may put them back when I am ready to sell the bike, but for now they just sit in the switch housing.

I hope this clears things up. Ask any questions you may have as this is a very simple project once you understand what is going on.

That is just it, you are not wiring the remote into the bike in any way or form. You are simply adding a second activation button to it by adding the flash to pass button to the circuit. I want to say that my remote uses a 9v disc type battery, but to be honest I don't remember. The high beam wires are completely removed from the flash to pass switch, at the terminals. I left the wires there as I may put them back when I am ready to sell the bike, but for now they just sit in the switch housing.

I hope this clears things up. Ask any questions you may have as this is a very simple project once you understand what is going on.

I think I understand now. So if understand correctly your high beam no longer flashes when you press your yellow F2P switch on the bike. Instead it's sole purpose is to activate the garage door; correct?

That is correct. I installed HID bulbs a while back as well, so the F2P button was useless at that point anyway. I live in the country and as I turn up my 1/8 mile driveway I activate the remote with my F2P button and pull right into my garage. It is also nice in the morning when I am leaving and I just close to door as I am riding away.

Okay I've got it!! That must be my problem as to why my opener stays activated when the bike is off and the headlight switch is in the low beam position! I will make sure to fix this! It sounds like the OP doesn't even need the F2P unit he bought and can just wire his opener to the switch already on the bike! Thanks Sous!

Okay I've got it!! That must be my problem as to why my opener stays activated when the bike is off and the headlight switch is in the low beam position! I will make sure to fix this! It sounds like the OP doesn't even need the F2P unit he bought and can just wire his opener to the switch already on the bike! Thanks Sous!

Not a problem, shoot me a PM if you reply here with further questions and I don't see them.

I've had the F2P on each of my last four bikes, and love it! I have two different garages, plus my shop, so with three garage doors, the F2P comes in handy. First of all, the square black "hockey puck looking module" attaches to your high beam headlight wires. Using the little blue "Posi-tap connector" plastic splicer deals, splice one of the two module wires to one of your high beam wires, and the other module wire to your other high beam wire. If you are not sure what color your high beam wires are, there is a chart on the F2P web site that lists most major bike makes and models. Then disconnect the existing garage door opener switch box mounted on your garage wall, and replace it with the F2P switch box. You can save your old wall box for later use, or you can discard it. I've still got my old wall box from 5 years ago, and may yet find a use for it. Anyhow, that's all there is to it. The F2P does not interfere with high beam operation in any way. To open your garage door, simply click your high beams on and off twice in succession, and the door should open. Hi-lo, hi-lo, door open.

As a footnote, I should add that on some garage doors, the current from the wall switch box needs a boost. If so, you may need to plug in a booster. These are available from the F2P folks, or you may have one lying around your house. Of my three garage doors, one needed a booster, and I used an old ac/dc power supply from an old calculator. I forget the specs just now, but they are listed on the web site. Something like 110 vac to 5 vdc.

You will love it! And if you don't, it should be very easy to sell. The F2P device also has an iphone/droid app too, but I have not yet tried that. Open your garage dor with you iphone...how about that!

Back