How To "INSPECT" Your Valve Clearances

(justin726 @ Apr. 05 2007,12:30) Jinkster, I did go ahead and make the adjustment yesterday.  After reading your other thread on how to make the adjustment, I went ahead and did it.  Everything went great and clearance after the adjustment was right in the middle of the range, which will make me feel better.  Your threads and info have been very valuable.  These should definatly be a sticky somewhere.

Thaks again.  
beerchug.gif
You're very welcome justin...and it's very cool of you to have had the nads to be one of the first to utilize this info to DIY!
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Um ya know i do love that info but i gotta be honest. thats way to complicated for me to do. I would be afraid to do that myself. God i wish i could. I am gonna have to have them checked soon. getting close to that 15k mark. just wandering how much i could expect a dealer to charge. ?
bowdown.gif

(jch364 @ Apr. 06 2007,05:15) Um ya know i do love that info but i gotta be honest. thats way to complicated for me to do. I would be afraid to do that myself. God i wish i could. I am gonna have to have them checked soon. getting close to that 15k mark. just wandering how much i could expect a dealer to charge. ?
bowdown.gif
If alls they hafta do is inspect them and they all check good?..$200-$250 is the range i've been hearing..however..if they need to actually pull cams and swap shims out?..I've heard everything from $250 (a real friendly price) to nearing $500 dollars should several shims need replacement and both cams needing to be R&R'ed..and it's really not that complicated to do yourself.

Maybe it would help if you got together with another member local to you...shim parties are a great way to learn..where ya get several guys together and make the most of a shim kit.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

if i save the link addy will this post ever disappear?..will the server keep it around forever or does it dump out annually?..anybody know?

(JINKSTER @ Apr. 06 2007,18:37) if i save the link addy will this post ever disappear?..will the server keep it around forever or does it dump out annually?..anybody know?
Bigger question is, why hasn't this been stickied in the maintenance forum yet?
rock.gif

To go through all that extra work and have it lost is a slap in the face. Do you have web space you can host that at? If not I may have some spare space.

Wow! Really great write up and pics including camshaft removal. The time and extra effort you took will certainly be appreciated by many Busa people. I sure do!
Thanks - Bob

Great write up again Jinks! thank you. Lets get this sucker stuck!
bump.gif
thumb_up.gif

How often should you have the valves checked on the bike? I have 18,500 on mine right now (never had it checked) and I got a really good price on getting them done. Whats the average?

Thank you JINKSTER. I'm just about at the point where I have to do this job. This will sure come in handy. Quite a process but it looks easier than the ZX-14. I'm not sure "easier" is ever the right word for this job but at least the valve cover is in in an easily accessed area with the air cleaner removed. I didn't read the whole tut in detail yet but looks like there is some debate about removing T-bodies. If it clears more room, I'd go ahead and do it. Less chance of scuffing off a hunk of crud into the motor and you can have a close look at injectors and bores and do a little cleanup. One tip I'd add for removing Tbodies is clean the bottom holders off thoroughly before pulling the Tbody assy. There's sometimes a bunch of dust that collects right around the intakes and it can fall in when removing the T-bodies.

Back