How to Improve your Stock Seat

BigSteve

Registered
I pondered the idea of buying a Corbin seat, but turn around time is 4-6 weeks and they are pricey ($300). So, I started looking for the items to make my own. Given this is NOT a Corbin, but an improvement over stock, here are the items I used and purchased at a local fabris store... Joanns (formerly Joann Fabrics):

-3M Super adhesive spray...$11.99
-1" High Density Foam...$6.44
-Quilt Batting...$11.99
-Black leatherette material...$15.99 <---reflects material needed for 2 seats
-1" Gel cushion...$89.00 (This was actually a gel cushion I purchased from Bob Weaver, packaged with a cover and other hardware to mount it to the seat. This can be found on ebay for less than $50)

Total...$135.41

Additional tools needed:
Staple Gun, pliers, and a flat head screwdriver.

First, gather all your materials:
100_1208.jpg

Take the stock cover off to expose the foam underneath and remove all hardware:
100_1211.jpg

Place the Gel in the location you desire. You may have to test fit it on the bike a few times until you get the feel/fit you want:
100_1213.jpg

Trace the gel pattern onto the seat:
100_1214.jpg

What ever size gel pad you use, remove the exact amount of stock foam. I used a box cutter, then a knife to flatten it out. (An electric knife carver would work best)
100_1216.jpg

Insert the gel pad. My gel pad was sticky so, I used plastic on both sides (because it stuck well) and sprayed the 3M adhesive on it so that it would adhere to the foam.
100_1217.jpg

Cover the gel pad with high density foam. I originally was looking for rebond foam, but Joanns didn't have any. Remember, the more foam used, the higher you'll sit...changing your riding postion and putting extra stress on your wrists. I added the high density foam for smoothness and a barrier between the gel pad and my bottom.
100_1218.jpg

Add a thin layer of quilt batting to smooth out the edges.
100_1219.jpg

Cover with a material similar to the stock covering.
100_1220.jpg

Finished product.
100_1222.jpg

I know there are mixed feelings regarding gel seats, but this seat performed the way I expected it to...better than stock. My test was conducted over a 13hr, 533mile ride taken yesterday, it definately made a difference!

Awsome bro! great idea (will do myself) and great "how to" post.

how long did that take?

To much work for me. Im lazy and just paid for a corbin seat! LOL but great idea and hope it works for you! :thumbsup:

great write up and nice work! can you re-apply the stock fabric after everything is done? i would like to keep my seat with the oem fabric if it's possible.

great write up and nice work! can you re-apply the stock fabric after everything is done? i would like to keep my seat with the oem fabric if it's possible.

Yes it is possible because the stock fabric is stretchable (don't go crazy with a super thick top layer of foam). Be careful when taking the old staples out that you don't tear the stock fabric so it is reusable.

-3M Super adhesive spray...$11.99
-1" High Density Foam...$6.44
-Quilt Batting...$11.99
-Black leatherette material...$15.99 <---reflects material needed for 2 seats
-1" Gel cushion...$89.00

Total...$135.41

Satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself - PRICELESS!

Very nice job:beerchug:
Bubba

Yes it is possible because the stock fabric is stretchable (don't go crazy with a super thick top layer of foam). Be careful when taking the old staples out that you don't tear the stock fabric so it is reusable.
thanks, i will probably take a crack at it this weekend. :thumbsup:

i know this is a old post im new here and 90% of my buisness is bike seats and boat upholstery i think you did a great job on your seat . heres a few more tips thats will help out with do it your selfers . electric knife and small 1/4" Angle head die grinder and 2" Sanding pads with holder 60 to 80 grit is great for sanding down foam and re-shape seats and i use 1/2 foam to 1/4 in" foam for smoothing your line out no batting here a pic of a 09 busa with all black ostrich for a local bike shop east coast power sports in charleston what funny i just bought that 09 hayabusa in the pic with out the seats if anyone needs help with there seats just let me know thanks houser:beerchug:

IMG00158.jpg

very nice work! :thumbsup: i wanted the oem look for me with the gel comfort and mine came out great! i had a blast doing this mod.

Back