How to get the bike up on stands?

justintime2

What's your story?
Donating Member
Registered
Hopefully this doesn't make me sound like to big a retard. I got a set of stands for the BUSA, front lower fork, and rear spools and have never used bike stands before.

What is the proper technique for getting the bike up on the stands without botching it? Do you start with the rear? Does it take two people? Does the bike have to be upright or on its kickstand when starting? HELP!!!  
poke.gif

j2: start with someone holding the bike upright, then get the rear stand under the spools and get the rear up first. Once the rear is up, you can do the front without anyone's assistance. It's quite simple really.

J2, definitely start with the rear. If you have the grab bar on you can do it yourself pretty easily.

I use my tie down straps to hold the front end upright and stationary and then bring the bike up on the rear stand. That way you can put it up on the rear stand safely by yourself. After that it's easy to do the front.

Your a big Tard...But that shouldn't stop you from getting the Bike up...

Ok Ok First things first...Get a spotter the first couple of times...Just like when your lifting they are mostly there to give you the confidence to get it done. But Get someoneto come stand on the right side of your busa and keep a hand on it. Then, line up your rear stand with the lowside peg, and while holding pressure on the stand gradually lean her on up and center the spools on the stand. After the first couple of times it gets a lot easier, less spooky. The important thing is to not let go and do not let her get too far to the right before having the stand lined up properly. I generally use my thighs to get her off the side stand with the left hand spool allready on the stand. Kepp the stand under pressure to prevent the left side from shifting around and once you have the right spool properly resting on the stand just hoist away. It only takes a little pressure to keep the spools in contact with the stand while you swing around to the back and hoist her up.

I dunno, I do not even know if I am making sense....F it I'm going to bed... Use a friend, makes the whole thing easy as pie....

I've had my busa on the stands many, MANY times and have never had assistance. It's easy after you do it a couple times. As others have said, start with the rear ALWAYS. Here's a tip that works for me better than what Rev says. Instead of putting a stand fork on the low side spool and then standin' 'er up I sit the stand behind the back tire and as centered to the contact patch of the tire as I can (where the tire touches the ground when the bike is standing straight up). I then stand 'er up straight and hold 'er using my left hand and push the stand under her with my right.

That way I can make contact with both spools at once. As long as I hold 'er steady there's less chance of levering her past the balance point if I miss the right side spool. No momentum to carry 'er on over and to the ground. As soon as both spools are resting in the stand forks I muscle 'er right on up.

Here's another tip. I haven't had the pillion grab bar on my bike since it left the showroom. To make it easier to steady her I sometimes just remove the hump and hold the cross bar that the hump latches to. Most times I just palm the hump though. I usually only use the hump latch bar when she's got a fresh coat of Zaino on 'er. She's so slick then that I don't trust palming the hump. I'm afraid my hand will slide right off and send her tumblin'.
wink.gif

One more tip: I hate to depend on anyone else, so I put a block of wood under the kickstand that puts the bike "almost straight up," but not quite. The bike leans just a degree or so to the left, which eliminates worry that it will go to far to the right and crash onto the floor. Then I slip the REAR stand under the spools as I stand slightly to the right rear of the bike. That way if the bike comes toward me a bit, I'm there to stop it. The block of wood stops it from going over to the left. Just do everything slowly and do not hurry. Takes less than 10 secs to do it safely. Oh, one other thing: sobriety helps.

redline john has it right. Very simple. Put a block of wood under the kickstand. 1.5 to 2.0 inches thick. The bike will have only a very minor lean. But you will be able to get the stand under the spools easily and lift the bike. I weigh only 174 pounds and have no problem doing it alone....even the first few times.

i was taught to stand to the right side when u lift the bike that way if it starts to fall to the left the kickstand will catch it. and if it falls to the right ur there.. rather if u stand behind it theres nothing on the rightside to keep it falling over... do it a few times and its no sweat then.. waaalaaaa

OK That damn block of wood is an excellent idea... I never even thought of that. What I have been using for leverage has been the passenger pegs. But a block of wood under the side stand is an awesome idea...thanks guys..

Back