How to Get out chain grease?

yzguyfl

Registered
ok, so my wife has a white jacket, and my busa spit up some chain lube on it. Any ideas of how to get it out?
it could be something else, but I can't think of anything else it could be.

BTW, I'm stretched 7" and no rear fender :)
I did get an extended chain guard, so that should help in the future.

IMG_20130505_192238.jpg

Uh, not sure about chain lube on a white jacket. I would recommend WD-40 but then the spots could wind up being blotches. I got nothing bro...

Oh wait, replace with black jacket, problem solved. :laugh:

Dish washing liquid,let it set a day,then more...scrub out.... then more ..wash it.If that don't work........ :dunno:

If you don't fix the problem it won't matter how out get the stain out of the jacket. Switch to DuPont chain lube.....no fling!

power purple, awesome, grease lighting etc. Ant degreasers

Kerosene cleans the chain good. Why not the clothes. lol

If you don't fix the problem it won't matter how out get the stain out of the jacket. Switch to DuPont chain lube.....no fling!

great! I'll try it, I assume it is also a good lube?

the lube I was using was not black, I assume crud was sticking to it making black sticky crud balls (that also stick to the bike)

what should I use to clean the chain? (I don't want to mess up the o-rings) I just put on a new chain.

Dish washing liquid,let it set a day,then more...scrub out.... then more ..wash it.If that don't work........ :dunno:

tried that quickly before, trying soaking a bit now. Also thinking about some of the prewash things made for clothes to soak spots before washing.

A tough hand cleaner,the type that gets grease of yer hands for the jacket.Start there,then brake clean,then lighter fliud,just keep trying stronger things till it works,or you have ruined the jacket. Then, if yer hell bent on keeping it,and cant get the stains out,have a tailor change out those 2 panels.You'll lose the "speed queen" part unless you wanna pay extra to have that re-embroided in. Prolly do it for 30 bucks.:dunno:

For the chain,I use special spray can, air filter element/chain cleaner. Some say wd-40,kerosene,brake cleaner is not supposed to hurt rubber,etc.

I just go with the purpose built chain cleaner,its only 10 bucks,lasts a long time.

RSD.

I would try a hand cleaner called "Goop", I have used it for years on getting grease out of clothing.

I had to get motor oil (used) out of a white shirt once. Used wd40 then spot clean with Dawn dish detergent. Looked good as new.

great! I'll try it, I assume it is also a good lube?

the lube I was using was not black, I assume crud was sticking to it making black sticky crud balls (that also stick to the bike)

what should I use to clean the chain? (I don't want to mess up the o-rings) I just put on a new chain.

Kerosene to clean the chain.
And +1 on the Dupont chain lube, and Goop to get the stains out of the jacket.

"gojo" hand wash like Rub and the USMarine stated.

if that fails try to take it to a dry cleaners, they have magic chemicals that will get it out.

I would try a hand cleaner called "Goop", I have used it for years on getting grease out of clothing.
I have some in the drawer, will try that.

Are you running an O-Ring chain ?
yep

tried a few Clorox products, including straight bleach, and they helped, but not totally gone (just tried small spots)
will try a few more things.

oh and the big pink speed queen thing is the reason she likes the jacket!! :)

Well I clean my EK ZZZ 530 with WD-40 and rags. Then throw a coat of maxima gold can chain wax on her right before putting her up. Got 32K miles out of my factory chain and sprockets and could have gone more. WD-40 is basically kerosene in a spray can. The wax doesn't sling like the lubes and all the lubing goes on where you can't go on a good o-ring chain. The wax just keeps that gold chain looking good and rust free.

My opinion and yes, I'm no chain expert.

well so far no luck... several things have lightened the spots up (tested individually on spots) but so far nothing is getting it all out. (even tried break clean!)
WD40 looked promising, but then left a yellow tint where it was used. Not sure if this is from the WD40, or if it just spread out the chain lube.

next, try soaking it completely (have just been aplying to a spot and letting that sit), then on to the dry cleaners for the magic chemicals....

Back