How to fix jerky low end throttle

Joshmc628

Registered
Upgraded from a 2005 to a 2016 Hayabusa. Have only had it for a couple weeks but I’ve noticed the throttle is really jerky in 1st at very low speeds only. At first I thought this was just the nature of the gen 2’s until my buddy let me ride is 2011. The throttle was not jerky at all in 1st just like how my 05 was. It’s like at first the throttle does nothing then it just kicks in kind of hard. How can this be adjusted?

From the insanely smooth response of my 2017 I can tell you there is something wrong.

Is this your first post for this bike? So you upgraded from the 2005 that you re-motored? You know the routine, members need to know all about this bike. History / miles / mods / some pics in case people spot something interesting.

Fuel controller? Go to a zero map. This is a classic symptom of bogging down due to excess fuel.

It could be that it requires the vacuum to be tuned. Imbalances among the cylinders are a problem for idle, low speeds, and steady-throttle cruising. I would only think this would creep in if it has high mileage.

Is the chain adjusted?

Throttle cable adjustment. I do not know how there could be a problem on a newer bike but as you get way down the list, check the throttle body linkage for correct operation.

I have that problem with my 08 ZX-14 but the 08 busa is very smooth. The 14 won't do anything from about 0~2% throttle in first gear. Then it jumps forward as soon as I turn a bit more. The problem is not bad right after startup but it gets worse as the engine heats up. I tried tuning AFR and that helped a tiny bit, maybe. I suspect the trouble is with the throttle sensor. My 14 did this from day I picked it up at the dealership. I noticed it immediately but didn't know enough to bring it back. It's annoying. I have calibrated the throttle sensor by PC5 and still it persists. The next step is to double check the voltage. I think it was out spec when I checked it while calibrating. A new TPS might fix it or perhaps adjusting the angle of the one I have.

From the insanely smooth response of my 2017 I can tell you there is something wrong.

Is this your first post for this bike? So you upgraded from the 2005 that you re-motored? You know the routine, members need to know all about this bike. History / miles / mods / some pics in case people spot something interesting.

Fuel controller? Go to a zero map. This is a classic symptom of bogging down due to excess fuel.

It could be that it requires the vacuum to be tuned. Imbalances among the cylinders are a problem for idle, low speeds, and steady-throttle cruising. I would only think this would creep in if it has high mileage.

Is the chain adjusted?

Throttle cable adjustment. I do not know how there could be a problem on a newer bike but as you get way down the list, check the throttle body linkage for correct operation.
Yup I sold the 05 and bought this one. Don’t know much about it besides that it has 6k miles. As far as mods it has akraprovic pipes and what looks like 11 inch extensions. Chain slack was the first thing I adjusted but it had no effect. I also tried adjusting the throttle cable which didn’t do anything either.

I have that problem with my 08 ZX-14 but the 08 busa is very smooth. The 14 won't do anything from about 0~2% throttle in first gear. Then it jumps forward as soon as I turn a bit more. The problem is not bad right after startup but it gets worse as the engine heats up. I tried tuning AFR and that helped a tiny bit, maybe. I suspect the trouble is with the throttle sensor. My 14 did this from day I picked it up at the dealership. I noticed it immediately but didn't know enough to bring it back. It's annoying. I have calibrated the throttle sensor by PC5 and still it persists. The next step is to double check the voltage. I think it was out spec when I checked it while calibrating. A new TPS might fix it or perhaps adjusting the angle of the one I have.
You may be on to something with the voltage. I was having charging issues where sometimes the battery won’t charge. I ordered a new stator, rectifier, and battery but I haven’t swapped anything out yet.

6DC0E3C5-D742-42EE-B59D-452D9CE382CC.jpeg

Black and metallic gold fairings from the 2009 Canadian model methinks. Gorgeous bike!

Wow great call @Mythos! It had not even crossed my mind that such a newer bike might be having a core problem. Seriously good troubleshooting.
Yup the seller did mention changing the plastics due to a fall. Looks great though and I’ve never saw that color scheme on a busa!

Last edited:
Was the ecu flashed for the exhaust?
I got my 2019 new off the showroom floor and really didn’t enjoy riding because 1-3 was hella jerky after I let off the throttle.
something about the fuel cutting off completely when you let off the throttle or maybe something about some secondary valves opening more aggressively.
Either way, after I got the ecu flashed... smooth as my uncle Jerry picking up 2nd cousins at the family reunion.

update: After another random spout of charging issues I finally got around to changing the stator and rectifier. One of the wires on stator harness clip was burnt. Fixed that and changed out the stator and rectifier anyway just to be done with it. First gear is now very controllable! Had no idea the voltage could effect something like that. Thanks for the insight everyone.

Back