How to fit Gen II mufflers to Gen I

Dehning

Registered
In every thread that I post pictures of my bike, there seems to be considerable interest in how I fitted Gen II mufflers onto my 2003 Gen I.

First off let me say that my motives were almost purely financial, I would have far preferred to have a nice set of carbon fiber Yoshi's, but the Gen II pipes were easily available and far cheaper so I thought I'd give it a try.

(I'm actually on my second set because they cost me 99c off eBay and are basically perfect.)

The Gen II mid pipes can be wedged into place, but it's hardly a secure fit and doesn't work very well. So I used the Gen I mid pipes, but when you line everything up, you will see that the mounting holes on the Gen I mid pipes are a good 30 degrees off. (The seal fits perfectly) I toyed with creating a bracket to compensate for this, but in the end, I discovered that just using the standard bolts and washers to clamp the Gen I midpipe's lip worked just fine.

ex1.jpg

The next thing you will discover is that the Gen I hanger's hole is a good 1.5" closer to the front of the bike than it needs to be, so I purchased 2 U-Bolts from home depot (~$1.75 each) and used them to bridge the gap so to speak. This creates some weird angle forces, but the main force is against the header which i think is just fine.

ex2.jpg

Lastly, if you want to use the chrome trim pieces that normally hide the bolts (and provide a more streamlined profile I assume) then you need to create a small L-Bracket that attaches to the inside bottom bolt. It took me a few attempts to get it right.

ex3.jpg

The whole setup is very secure and VERY QUIET, it's kind of sureal riding something this quiet that can also move this quickly, kinda cool. My bike also has a lot of black and chrome, so the black and chrome on the mufflers works well in my setup I think.

ex4.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the write up, this has been on my mind (buddy installed yoshimura cf duals on his k9 busa), though i like the sound of my muzzy i prefer the hayabusa with dual exhausts.

Dehning, do you have any more rear pics of your bike? would like to see how the exhausts looks like from various angles.

thanks for the write up, this has been on my mind (buddy installed yoshimura cf duals on his k9 busa), though i like the sound of my muzzy i prefer the hayabusa with dual exhausts.

Dehning, do you have any more rear pics of your bike? would like to see how the exhausts looks like from various angles.

How about these:

muff1.jpg

muff2.jpg

muff3.jpg

thanks, just what i was looking for, the first thing i would try is the mod suggested by BUBBA so the cans would tuck in a little, will make the bike look better IMO

same tail light?:beerchug:

I did tuck my cans in and it does look better. :thumbsup:

I hope these fancy taillights hold out, been some grumbling about them on another thread. :please:

Back