How to diagnose FI light and obtain ecu fault code

Meta title: 44

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
This comes up a lot so I figured I'd make a thread and maybe we can get it pinned for further use?

When your FI light comes on what do you do?

Underneath your seat there's a white capped plug. You can either remove cap which makes it easier or leave it on doesn't matter. When FI light comes on use a piece of wire and jump the two wires listed in below pic. If leaving cap on insert wires all the way thru plug to wire terminals to make a connection. Once this is done turn ignition on and start bike to display error code on gauge pod.

Anyway heres the pics. First pic shows cap still on with wire inserted correctly. Second pic shows plug with cap off. Third pic is error code showing on my dash -C27 Fourth is list of error codes.

91063e16.jpg

f4820151.jpg

69925459.jpg

f1codes_jpg.jpg

The key must be on, but it does not matter if the bike is running or not.
If the FI light is not on then "C00" will be displayed, as there are no codes present.
The ecu does not store trouble codes.
If the FI light only flashes or comes on occasionally, then leave the jumper while in while you ride the bike.
That way "C" and the corresponding 2 digit trouble code will be displayed as the light flashes, or is temporarily on.
This will not harm the ecu or any of the bike.
Make sure you have no bare wire and it is seated well into the plug before you ride it with the jumper in.
Otherwise you can cause a short if the bare wire grounds on any metal.

My FI indicators were on. I jumped the diagnostic block and that produced a NO FAULT code. -C00.

When I started the motor, the code switched to -C32, #1 primary injector. That was the problem. The fuel module connector toPrimary #1 had a bent pin.

...so, you really need to start the bike in that situation and probably others. Maybe there are some FI errors that happen with motor off, IDK?

I am more than happy to see this post..... I have a current situation that requires me to do this.

History: Long Story but had to lay the Busa down to prevent further situations

Outcome: Minimal damage to myself: A couple of quarter size strawberries.
Minimal damage to bike to the sight: Must purchase new windscreen. Cowl slightly bent on one side.

Current problem: Busa will not start. I picked up immediately after lay down (approximately 20 seconds) and Busa started right up and ran for 5 seconds and shut off. I attempted to restart numerous times after but no luck. No codes come up on initial ignition turn on and FI doesnt flash until after you attempt to start. This is a good starting point to further examine any other problems.

Does anyone else have suggestions that could helpful.

I am more than happy to see this post..... I have a current situation that requires me to do this.

History: Long Story but had to lay the Busa down to prevent further situations

Outcome: Minimal damage to myself: A couple of quarter size strawberries.
Minimal damage to bike to the sight: Must purchase new windscreen. Cowl slightly bent on one side.

Current problem: Busa will not start. I picked up immediately after lay down (approximately 20 seconds) and Busa started right up and ran for 5 seconds and shut off. I attempted to restart numerous times after but no luck. No codes come up on initial ignition turn on and FI doesnt flash until after you attempt to start. This is a good starting point to further examine any other problems.

Does anyone else have suggestions that could helpful.

I forgot to add. Gen 1 Busa. 2006

I really appreciate the post but it doesn't seem to be helping. I have a 2012 that for some reason is popping a check engine code. No FI light. When I attempt to jump the wires as shown in the photo I get no discernible response I did notice that my cap was different than the one in the photos and I'm wondering if this supposed applies to my generation or if I'm missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
20160625_201505.jpg
20160625_201455.jpg
20160625_201455.jpg

20160625_201450.jpg

If you have the jumper wire making a good connection between the red/white and black/white wires/pins of the white diagnostic plug, then you should see "C" and a 2 digit number where it says "CHEC". C00 means no codes are present. The code will only be present when the FI light is on. The ecu does not/cannot store codes.
Does the "CHEC" go away with the bike running? As it should.
The cap on the white plug also makes no difference.
Make sure the jumper wire is pushed in far enough to contact the pins.

Anyone the following situation:
1. Got F1 code, put it into dealer mode. Found the error and resolved the problem
2. But I still can't start the engine (new build)
3. But I get an F1 code after awhile while trying to start the bike
4. but if I put the bike in dealer mode, I get no C error codes

Thoughts ?
Todd

This thread helped me over the weekend as i too was getting the Fi light during the race weekend.
A buddy of mine had an awesome idea that i'll share with you folks.
instead of having to unbolt the seat every time to check the error code by bridging the wires, he took a connector from a busted HID headlight bulb, tapped the two wires from the diagnostic port to one end of the connector and made a loopback with the other end of the connector. there's just enough slack on the connector to access it next to the fairing under the seat, so if the Fi light comes on we just jack in the loopback connector and the code pops up on the dash.
Thanks to you all for the information on this site as well.

This thread helped me over the weekend as i too was getting the Fi light during the race weekend.
A buddy of mine had an awesome idea that i'll share with you folks.
instead of having to unbolt the seat every time to check the error code by bridging the wires, he took a connector from a busted HID headlight bulb, tapped the two wires from the diagnostic port to one end of the connector and made a loopback with the other end of the connector. there's just enough slack on the connector to access it next to the fairing under the seat, so if the Fi light comes on we just jack in the loopback connector and the code pops up on the dash.
Thanks to you all for the information on this site as well.
Good idea...

Back