How to deal with controversy and Thread Jacking

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Well folks I am going to try something new... I get continual complaints about members that start battling right in the middle of a great thread and it completely distracts from conversation.

This is a lot like having two adults stand up in the middle of a coffee shop and start yelling and screaming at each other. While the intent of the tables at the coffee shop it to have people sit at them and talk it becomes counter productive when the noise becomes so loud that you can't hear across your own table. Having this occur once might seem acceptable as everyone has a bad day but if it happens every time you go to that coffee shop then at some point you will stop going because you can't have a decent conversation at your own table without being interrupted.

If you are one of the loud obnoxious yelling people at some point you might want to take that conversation outside...

So using that same example I have created a new forum called "Hi' Jacked Threads" https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/forums/hi-jacked-threads.258/ The intent is to let those folks that want to disrupt a thread continue on if they choose but without an audience. This thread will not show up on the "New Post" feature and no new threads can be started in this section unless I move content there.

I'm tired of watching people vomit all over good threads and see great people not coming back because we have some Men acting like children and at the same time I'm tired of being told I over moderate. I am going to use a little technology and let guys go after it but in a place where no one else has to watch you and no one cares if you look and act like an idiot.

Maybe if there is enough consolidated post there those that need to figure it out will begin to see a trend and see WHO is consistently involved.

I will let the community decide......

Cap

Well folks I am going to try something new... I get continual complaints about members that start battling right in the middle of a great thread and it completely distracts from conversation.

This is a lot like having two adults stand up in the middle of a coffee shop and start yelling and screaming at each other. While the intent of the tables at the coffee shop it to have people sit at them and talk it becomes counter productive when the noise becomes so loud that you can't hear across your own table. Having this occur once might seem acceptable as everyone has a bad day but if it happens every time you go to that coffee shop then at some point you will stop going because you can't have a decent conversation at your own table without being interrupted.

If you are one of the loud obnoxious yelling people at some point you might want to take that conversation outside...

So using that same example I have created a new forum called "Hi' Jacked Threads" https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/forums/hi-jacked-threads.258/ The intent is to let those folks that want to disrupt a thread continue on if they choose but without an audience. This thread will not show up on the "New Post" feature and no new threads can be started in this section unless I move content there.

I'm tired of watching people vomit all over good threads and see great people not coming back because we have some Men acting like children and at the same time I'm tired of being told I over moderate. I am going to use a little technology and let guys go after it but in a place where no one else has to watch you and no one cares if you look and act like an idiot.

Maybe if there is enough consolidated post there those that need to figure it out will begin to see a trend and see WHO is consistently involved.

I will let the community decide......

Cap
CAP all for it! Hopefully it gets used. How will it work?

Great idea.
Is there also the chance of making it possible to NOT be able to edit own posts after lets say, 5 minutes they got posted? Or maybe even NOT being able to edit anymore after a following post was made...
One member in particular uses this tactic to alter his posts after he posted a ton of bull**** constantly.

Great idea.
Is there also the chance of making it possible to NOT be able to edit own posts after lets say, 5 minutes they got posted? Or maybe even NOT being able to edit anymore after a following post was made...
One member in particular uses this tactic to alter his posts after he posted a ton of bull**** constantly.

No permissions to add new threads
No permissions to edit post
No permissions to edit threads
No permissions to delete post

Those post are what they are for all to see and make whatever decision they need to.

No permissions to add new threads
No permissions to edit post
No permissions to edit threads
No permissions to delete post

Those post are what they are for all to see and make whatever decision they need to.

That was a general question for every post!

THANK YOU Cap! . . . .
I really dislike any arguing where it get's personal (name calling, abuse etc)
on an internet forum.
This is the only forum I'm in, and I absolutely enjoy it, only because there are so many great people here and so little friction between members, unlike other forums I've looked at.
But yes, there has been a bit of friction lately causing a heated exchange, and to be honest, I feel uncomfortable watching grown men indulge in childish, petty bullsh*t arguing.
So . . . great idea Captain, I'm all for it! :thumbsup:

Thank God. This poop was getting real old. The Profession thread was awesome until littered with nonsense.
Captain keep up the great work.

Should be pretty clean again... and your right that was a good example of a great thread with lot's of content and great conversation about people and what makes them tick.
Where did it get derailed? It still is a great thread....

LOL you can tell its mid winter or close to the tail end of it. Seems this occurs alot almost ever year since i started visiting this site. CAP i think your idea is excellent. I too hate to see good threads destroyed by a few bad eggs.

Back