How to climb a Radio Tower

eff thattt. Someone posted it that a while back and just drives me crazy when the guy looks down... I dont know how someone could do that job....

Glad you posted it again, I showed my roommates :thumbsup: No amount of money could get me up that thing!

45 bucks an hour, what they didn't tell you is not all towers have elevators the first 1600 feet...some take more then 6 hours to climb..all that to change a light bulb....they are changing them out to led now so no tower climbing will be needed...and other company's are using helicopters

Heights don't bother me at all, I used to teach high angle rescue for Oklahoma Fire Service Training.

HOWEVER

When he takes his safety line off to reattach that is Crazy, not to mention that hook is about 10 times bigger than the bars he is attaching to.. Jeez, one wrong slip and the hook pops off the peg....

There is a good chance that they are connected together though, couldn't tell....

Oh no........no way. Would it be easy to parachute off instead of climbing down? Curious!

unless it your job, dont climb radio towers.
i heard a roumor, that if they are not turned off when climbed, you can die.
think i'll stick to oil derricks and water towers. :whistle:

i dig heights, the make my but fell funny when i look down.:rofl:

I'm an ironworker. I've been doing this since i was 18. I could not imagine having a desk job. I would be bored out of my mind.

just remember know one...and I repeat know one has ever died from falling....it is the sudden stop at the end that kills u...also side note...you do not need a parachute to jump off that thing or out of an air plane.... you only need a parachute if you wish to do it twice...:laugh:

I'm all for hights, but each time he looked down made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. All that kept going through my mind was please don't slip.

Who says riding a bike at +150 is dangerous? I wonder what he pays for life insurance?:angel:

No freakin way...... I got a rush just watching it on my computer. I can't imagine what that would be like in real life. I thought it was bad enough when he first started, but then he went out in the open on those tiny little pegs with no harness!!!! That is just insane!

unless it your job, dont climb radio towers.
i heard a roumor, that if they are not turned off when climbed, you can die.
think i'll stick to oil derricks and water towers. :whistle:

i dig heights, the make my but fell funny when i look down.:rofl:

When I was 8-9 yrs old, the kid on the next street tried to climb a radio tower in my neighborhood. He fell off. Almost killed him, he was a bully anyway so:whistle:

How do they build those? Helicopter the upper sections in and bolt em up?

I'm an ironworker. I've been doing this since i was 18. I could not imagine having a desk job. I would be bored out of my mind.

i was an ironworker when i was in my early 20's...it was a great time and i met some really interesting people :laugh:

eff thattt. Someone posted it that a while back and just drives me crazy when the guy looks down... I dont know how someone could do that job....

+1 million that...I like heights but....that is beyond my...comfort level
(about a million times past my comfort level).

That is something I did for years, still have the popeye forearms and the destroyed shoulders to prove it. The tallest one I have climbed was 1000' with an elevator to 700' (IN THE WINTER!). The fun part is working on the outside of the tower with both hands having to rely on your safety equipment 100%.

Most of the places I worked for paid by the height, the further you went up the more you got paid. I built quite a few towers and repaired/installed transmission lines and antennas on hundreds more of them. It was a very life affirming job, most climbers love being on the top of a tower. I can recall having a beer watching the sun go down on the top of a few towers after the day was done. No-one close to me ever died but I did casually know a couple of guys that took the quick way down.

BTW, I used to skydive also...seemed like a natural progression.

Back