"How to build the perfect 1441" it will save you time and headaches!~

Next is the tricky part. Picking your pistons. The factors to consider and questions you should ask:

NOS yes/no
Race Fuel yes/no
stock rods or aftermarket yes/no
pure race or 50/50
every ounce of power or safest reliable settings

stock cams yes/no
big cams yes/no
cam lift and valve spring selection (bind issues)
extended rev or stock

Everything from the piston up begins with "the hole". Get this measurement right it is your most critical because any problems here your day is over. How deep is the piston in the hole. Check it five times. :rulez:

The closest cylinder depicts "the hole"...I use copper RTV spray on my head gaskets. I will explain why later. APE studs are a must as well..

100_0837.jpg

When getting your hole measurements leave the gasket out of the equasion just be sure the gasket you select is as close to the thickness on the label as possible. Keep in mind they all crush differently which changes everything.

For instance if your measurements show that your piston is .003 in the hole and you add a true .030 head gasket your piston to head clearance is .033. That flips based on your actual hole depth or height. Your choice of gasket thickness changes your numbers as well. Milling the block or use of custom gaskets will allow for you to get technical "tight" here unless there are other factors.

Selecting the right piston to head clearance based on your purpose of use is also critical. Some have gone as tight as .032 or out to .055 with big shots of spray or .150 for turbo applications or greater. Big question is, is it going to hold together, will the oem rods stretch?

Ok, taking this measurement. You will hear several variations on which tool to use. People use feeler gauges, clay, torque plates, expensive German measuring tools or a dial gauge set-up. Using a dial gauge works best for me. I take two measurements.

(1) Thanks to Kevin of KWS, Set your dial indicator up properly. Take a measurement rocking the piston as far forward towards the front of the motor. Write the measurement down. Rock the piston all the way towards the back of the motor and take a measurement. So if forward was .002 and backwards was .007, add the two = .009 and divide by two: .008 would be your depth in the hole.

(2) Check your work here. Try to center the piston in the hole. Heck use the dial indicator and center it properly. Afterall, everything is being put on this measurement. Set your dial indicator up so you can read the depth of the center of the piston. Write, that measurement down.

Now which measurement pulls more weight. As Kevin explained it. The piston under major load or possible detonation forces can rock forward and back so...this measurement is more critical...keep this in mind when considering piston to valve clearances.

Last edited:
Now picking your head guy boils down to personal choice and experience. Kevin@KWS gets my nod.

100_0304-Copy.jpg

100_0313-Copy.jpg

100_0314-Copy.jpg

100_0390-Copy.jpg

100_0392-Copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The next segment gets tricky. I will get the rest together and finish up tomorrow. I hope the above was useful to somebody. :beerchug:

Hi,GPW\Greg
I am curious why you chose a 14.3 AFR?
I am not a builder or tuner but do play a bit.lol
The tuner's say lean is mean but how lean is to lean? IMO
when it comes time for me to see a tuner i would prefer a 13.5 - 13.7 AFR
probably would not make top HP but i like having room to give for fuel and mother nature's changes.lmao..
Greg can i PM you with some of my idea's for my future build?
Thankx,maddogs_1340

Ok, what caused the heat. A 14.3 tune on the dyno which was probably a 14.5 tune on the track specially if ram air was not simulated on the dyno. High AFR and MR9 which is low in octane and oygenated had one heck of a party together in this motor. If this was video taped it would have been amazing too see. All the stress went down stairs to the piston pins, small end rods jouranals and to the bearings. Now add a pick-up tube that is full of massive amounts of clutch matter. Thats my cause of failure.

Hi,GPW\Greg
I am curious why you chose a 14.3 AFR?
I am not a builder or tuner but do play a bit.lol
The tuner's say lean is mean but how lean is to lean? IMO
when it comes time for me to see a tuner i would prefer a 13.5 - 13.7 AFR
probably would not make top HP but i like having room to give for fuel and mother nature's changes.lmao..
Greg can i PM you with some of my idea's for my future build?
Thankx,maddogs_1340
Maybe I wrote wrong I will check. I got the motor broken as a result of being leaned out and ran hard with MR9. Motor met its breaking point and one pass before complete failure I got the motor. What a lesson many will never see, so I took clear pictures.

Greg

Back