How Things Went with Orens Guest..

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
O-Ren Ishii's guest last week...

JOHN1.JPG

JOHN2.JPG

and here's a link to (fizzyrider) my buds thread on how the tuning job went and worked out for him on his moroso track day this past sunday...

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70685&page=5

happy, happy and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Gotta be a member.
okay...so i'm certain that my old FZ1 buds won't mind if i copy and past a few of his comments here so?...here's how i did tuning his '00 Model GSXR600 Track Bike...that to my surprise wound up having the staggered main jets from he11 to accomodate the....."aftermarket hollow/perf'ed race needles" in his brace of four mikuni cv downdraft carbs...he's what he had to say...on page #5 of his thread...(foreword: i'm known as "FUZ1ON" on that board...

"Okay, time to rescue this thread already....

The short version... (a collective "Yay!" goes up from the crowd  ):

During the Thanksgiving break, I dropped off my track bike at my buddy FUZ1ON's crib for some TLC. There's no one I trust more to do a thorough diagnostics of this nature. Even if it takes a while to light a fire under him.  

Billy.

This past Saturday I spent most of the day with my old pal, observing while he dissected the carbs on my gixxer. After carefully assessing the situation, somewhat complicated by a needle and jet configuration unfamiliar to him (and after about 412 cigarettes  ), he got down to business, pulling them apart, cleaning, measuring needles, setting float heights and reconfiguring the jets. Once back in, he took quite a lot of time getting the carbs in synch, taking much longer than I would have had the patience for. He insisted on getting them as close as possible, and I believe he did just that.

So, major props to FUZ1ON for all the hard work. Thanks again, Bill.

The next day, my pal Jim and I went down to Moroso Speedway near West Palm for a track day with STT. Although not my favorite track, being able to really rip on that little gixxer was more fun than I've had in quite some time at a track day.  This bike is just a racing BEAST. Hates to go slow.. we were never able to smoothe out the lower end, but Jinks got rid of the flat spots above 4K and it pulls smoothly all the way to 10K, then absolutely SCREAMS to the red line. Keeping it in the power band took some practice, but after a few laps I had my shifts down and was able to hang pretty well with the R1's and Gixxer1K's... until the straights that is.  No matter, I bought this thing as a track animal, not a straight line drag bike, and I'm having tons o' fun!

The Pilot Powers, which have been on the track AND the street already, held up better than I thought they would, so I should have at least one more track day on them.

Sorry for the rambling... this was supposed to be short. But DAMN I had fun. Can't wait for the next track day. Come on Jennings!"

and after explaining to him that hollow race needles are some serious gear who's effects weren't aimed at smooth take-offs from stoplights (but are meant for savage increases in mid and upper rev ranges at the track) that these needles will always have a slight stumble off idle as they do affect low-end drive-ability...so?...i figure i did okay!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Back