How the Middle Class became the underclass

according to the article:
*In 1988, the income of an average American taxpayer was $33,400, adjusted for inflation. Fast forward 20 years, and not much had changed: The average income was still just $33,000 in 2008, according to IRS data.

*Whereas 50 years earlier, there were plenty of blue collar opportunities for workers who had only high school diploma, now employers seek "soft skills" that are typically honed in college, Rodgers said.

*"With a global economy, people who have extraordinary skills... whether they be in financial services, technology, entertainment or media, have a bigger place to play and be rewarded from," said Alan Johnson, a Wall Street compensation consultant.

As a result, the disparity between the wages for college educated workers versus high school grads has widened significantly since the 1980s.

In 1980, workers with a high school diploma earned about 71% of what college-educated workers made. In 2010, that number fell to 55%.

education is guaranteed by law to all US born children.....the key has always been education.

I understand what you're saying about education, but a large number of those graduating from college today are having trouble finding jobs in their choosen field. Without industry there are no jobs.As Americans we can not simply wait for someone to provide for us. It's simply ridiculous and absurd to think that someone who has obtained wealth should simply hand it over to the rest. It's exactly what's wrong with government bailouts. You end up rewarding those who have failed and punish those who have succeeded.

The "avarage" American income might be $33,000 as the article suggests.....but, to me, this income is not really "middle class".

I think that the "Middle Class" has become romanticized. People want to claim they are middle class, but they are not.

Everyone wants to believe they are middle class. For people on the bottom and the top of the wage scale the phrase connotes a certain Regular Joe cachet. But this eagerness to be part of the group has led the definition to be stretched like a bungee cord. ” Dante Chinni

Back