How screwed am I?

javie

Registered
So I blasted a bump pretty hard on the interstate and noticed this when I pulled over to stop.

Is there anyway to fix the plastics or am I pretty boned and need to get a new nose on it?

20130829_143451.jpg

20130829_151251.jpg

OMG, did your helmet hit the windscreen or something? wow, man i hope you can fix it, but im not sure how well it will hold up considering the amount of load and vibration that is on that fastener.

You might be able to fix it with plastic epoxy and a single layer of fiberglass mesh on the inside.

I'm also curious how this happened -- seems like a strange place for the plastics to break as a result of hitting a bump.

--Sky

I would look into a local plastic repair shop for that, some of those guys can make it look like new, I don't know how they weld that stuff but they make it look good.

It's fixable but you will need to put some kind of fiberglass or carbon fiber backing to hold it together as suggested earlier. I've you're not experienced at fixing plastic it may be best to get it done professionally also as suggested earlier.

I wonder if maybe that was a poorly fitting windscreen and/or the mounting screw was too tight?

If that happened from hitting a bump you better give your bike a thorough once over and see if no other damage occurred :whistle:

that for sure i wold be checking into suspension and front tires as well.

So I blasted a bump pretty hard on the interstate and noticed this when I pulled over to stop.

Is there anyway to fix the plastics or am I pretty boned and need to get a new nose on it?

That should buff right out......:laugh:

jk, sorry to see that man!

Plastic weld it and as others have said check your bikes bolts make sure that they are all torqued properly as that damage looks like it was done from over tightening.

I'm just curious which one of your accounts is past due? :laugh:

Haha that's a price sheet for a local concrete company, it's showing terms for past due accounts. I'm a ok ! lol I'll call around some shops and hope someone can fix it. I went and re-torqued everything on the bike, took me a good afternoon to do it. Thanks for the suggestions guys !

First off if you where on the interstate contact the DOT department of transpertation. They have insurance for it you have to fill out the claim form and make sure you put on the claim form the OEM price for your plastics and the estimate from the best paint shop in town so they can get a perfect color match for your Busa...
Hope this helps

You need to contact the DOT department of transportation they have a claim form go back out pull off where you hit it take pictures of the pot hole and call the police to take a report then file it with DOT with the part# and price from a dealer for replacing it send a copy certified mail with signature if you know a lawyer have the firm send it on there letter head " you will get paid a lot faster".

That's a ton of energy in that one little spot to break that, I would be it might have been busted already and you just noticed it or the pieces were already separated and just not showing....

Ok I'll say it, some needs to out down the 3foot long hex wrench. Dayum over tightened screw Batman! :banghead:

I wonder if maybe that was a poorly fitting windscreen and/or the mounting screw was too tight?

I never tighten a well nut very much. Not even to the point of snug. The tighter you go the more the rubber expands. causes rubber to split or worse, split fairings. Tighten those 'til the head of the screw contacts and then go a couple more turns. Finger tight is fine.

Back