How reliable is a turbo hayabusa?

asylum1

Registered
Ive had my Gen II for almost 3 years now. Love the bike but I feel like its time to change things up a bit. Putting a turbo on the hayabusa is something Ive always wanted to do so Im seriously considering an RCC stage 1 kit (with supporting mods). According to Richard, 300whp+ is doable on that setup. Now that brings up the one thing that is holding me back. I dont want my bike to be unreliable to the point where Im scared of it breaking everytime I take it out. Realistically, How much more unreliable will the bike be setup that way?

thanks

I know that bolting on the stage1 without a head spacer etc., the limit is 3.5psi so about 230-240whp. The cost do do the upgrades to lower compression and valves/springs to be able to bump the boost up to 8-10psi isnt all that much so I would rather do that so that way I feel that the money spent doing the turbo setup is worth the gains. :laugh: I have used meth/water injection on my turbo cars before so I wouldnt mind doing that either in order to get the bike over 300+whp. However, I enjoy getting on my bike now knowing that it probably wont break down.

If you want bone stock reliability, leave it bone stock like it came from the factory. As soon as you modify it, you are taking a chance.
That being said, there are mods that are sensible, (have been tested and researched properly) and some that are just plain stupid. The more you want out of a motor, the higher the chance for failure. That's just how it is....
As far as a turbo bike goes, it will be as reliable as you can afford to make it. Spend the money to do it right, get it tuned by someone that knows how, don't push it harder than your tuner tells you is safe. Tuning and following tuners instructions are the key.
Good luck.

Reactions: c10
Bump for POWERHOUSE.
From reading his posts Frank can put together a dependable streetable turbo that will last.
He'll be along with details:beerchug:

Reactions: Zee
cheap

fast

reliable

pick two, because you can't have all 3. i've told that to customers before and it seems to get the point across.

Are u going to run 300 plus on pump gas? I would build the bike for more hp than u want,that way u can always turn the boost up if needed..

Take the smallest Turbo on the market, GT25 for example,
lower the comp. only 0,40", and be happy with 10-12Psi
otherwise it´s always a compromise between max power
and no go without minimum 4000-4500 1/min thats the game
you have only 1,3liter. And everybody who telling you 300PS+++400PS
this enginges are dead in low rotations. On a racetrack you see it
extremly specialy in the outside off curves no NM.
Or take a small supercharger C30-74 and keep everything standard
and be happy with 240PS it runing like a 1507cc but have arround
178 NM.

Cheers
MAX

POWERHOUSE has 30+ years turbocharging both street and track bikes. Turbo bikes - built and tuned properly - are rock-solid reliable. Make sure that your motor is built to withstand more power than you plan on putting down; build your foundation strong and solid. That is key. Get a good, trusted and reliable kit - like the RCC - and have it installed and tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. If you set it up to run on pump gas, run it that way. Make sure that when it is tuned, it is done using the same fuel you intend on using, and make sure that the A/F is checked and set up properly for every boost level you intend on running: low boost, high boost, and everything in between. Don't "cheap out" on anything - do rods, pistons, studs, valves (Gen 2), valve springs, oil pump gear, good clutch springs and slave support. Build it right, build it once!

I have been building, tuning and riding turbo bikes since 1978. I have always had at least one turbo street bike in my stable. I went cross country, from N.Y. to Salt Lake City, Utah - on a turbo bike. Through snow, rain, and all kinds of miserable weather. I went from N.Y. to Montreal, non-stop, on a turbo bike, and then back again. I have put countless miles on turbo street bikes, and would not think twice about taking one on a long trip. I have three turbo street bikes right now- one of them is an RCC Ultra that put down just over 600 hp. Weather permitting, I ride that bike every day, and have been everywhere on that bike. I commute with it, and do a lot of sport riding with it. I've raced many other bikes, and many turbo cars with it. I've had it WFO more times than I can count. Right now this bike has over 7,000 street miles on it since the build. The only maintenance involved is changing the oil - although I have to admit, I've had to change the rear tire twice because of how I ride.

My opinion is that it is just as reliable as a stock Busa, because it was built right, and tuned right. Its just not as boring as a stock Busa!:laugh:

• Love
whats nice about turbo charged is that during workaday riding your motor is really just cruising. spool up and look out!

i live about an hour and a half away from RCC so they would be doing the setup and tune so we know it will be done right

i live about an hour and a half away from RCC so they would be doing the setup and tune so we know it will be done right

I can't understand why you didn't ask Richard the same question . . . you could not be in better hands. What are you waiting for?:poke:

I have talked to richard about power limits with certain mods. I just wanted to get realworld opinions and hear expeiences from people who actually own a turbo busa. I just don't want to totally destroy the reliability of the bike. I know that with adding that much more power to anything, there's always the chance of something going wrong and the more maintainance that come with it. I've owned many turbo cars with upgraded turbos and I find they are usually more reliable than an n/a car that had a turbo added to it. Ive promised myself never to turbo a motor that didn't come with one again after the experience that I had with one of my cars. But I always dreamed of a turbo busa so I really want to do it as long as I don't have the sale problems I had with that one car

There's enough turbo busa's out there that you can get real world feedback. Richard's reputation in the turbo busa world is stellar, anything he tells you is gospel truth.

My turbo 08 is imo as reliable as a std bike, i would feel comfortable to at a moments notice to ride it any distance, its actually easier to ride in adverse conditions due to the decompression taking the edge off the throttle response .
Its noticable when your running neck and neck with a big NA bike , my last ride was with a 12 and 14 , 500miles across flat land into the mountains, dodging thunderstorms and back , in the wet i could pass the other bikes but in the dry out of tight corners i had to be a gear lower if i wanted drive or the pre boost slower throttle response let them get a couple of bike lengths on me , and in a straight line :laugh: turbo is king

Supplied and fitted by Richard you can't go wrong :)

My K11 is my second 'Busa. The first was a NA K9. I'm at 303 HP now, managed with a AMS1000. I did an RCC stage 1 with pistons, valves, springs, BOV, studs, oil pump, clutch springs, stage 8 exhaust locks, full pipe and water injection.

It took me almost the entire season to sort her out. I was initially disappointed becuase even though she put out 287 HP (at the time) it was high up in the RMP range. She was a dog down low compared to my stock K9. But, after Richard swapped out my housing with a smaller (yes, smaller) housing my boost started coming on at 2800 - 3000k. Then, I had a vapor lock issue. After I replaced the heat shield below the tank and wrapped the fuel pump that went away.

It wasn't until I put the AMS on with onboard compressor and air shifter that I really fell in love with her again. It's taken a year, but I have a bike that I love and is amazing to ride. 140 MPH power wheelies are a blast! (track only, of course).

There were a few times during this process that I wished I had my stock bike back. To be honest, maybe a more than a few times. But, she has been well worth the wait. I just turned over 4K miles (had 9K on my 09 the first year) and there is nothing like boost.

IMG_7700-Small.jpg

I had a Velocity stage 2, Dbl. BB. (with all the goodies) installed on my 02' in 04'. The bike had 3800 miles on it when I had it done. It was my only bike that I rode 12 months out of the year until I bought my 09' in 09'. It's got 14000 miles on it now. The only thing I had to do was oil,filters and tires. I can't even imagine not having a turbo bike again. I will always have one. It has been one of the best motorcycling experiences of my life. When I'm ready,the next thing will be to send it out and have it re-built and have a big ass RCC kit put on it BUT, not before the 09' gets a smaller kit. Also, I will always have the transmission built. Talk about a dream. Until you have it done, you really can't understand (at least I don't think I could). The 09' is my 3rd. busa. ( 99',02,09.) I think the secret is A). Have it done by a Professional that takes this Sh_t seriously and knows motor building,Tuning and Turbo charging in and out and B). Listen to the man and spend what you have to, to build it the right way the First Time. If you don't have the funds that it requires to do What ever the Man says you need to do to make it reliable....Don't Do It! Don'T Skimp! I know a handful of people that did that, that didn't have close to the Hp I have and they Blew Up! Do it right the first time. This is just my Opinion. I can go on and on about this subject. Every so often I put C-16 in it and dial the boost up and have a Holiday. Talk about an experience. 425+ Wheel Hp on a Street D.O.T. tire on a public highway! It's a Big difference from the 320 WHp. on pump fuel that I get and that's freaking amazing! Anyway, to make a Real Long Story Short, Having a Turbo Motorcycle has ruined me. Non-Turbo bikes will never do, ever again (for me). The Great thing is..Technology has come SO far..and so have the people (find the right one but if your capable, go for it). You don't need 300 Hp to experience this. You can have a lot of fun with 230 Hp So, Go out and get yourself boosted.:laugh: BY THE WAY...RELIABILITY IS NOT EVEN A FACTOR AND I GET BETTER FUEL MILEAGE WHEN I DO THE SPEED LIMIT ON THE HIGHWAY....NO BULL!!!:thumbsup:

I have talked to richard about power limits with certain mods. I just wanted to get realworld opinions and hear expeiences from people who actually own a turbo busa. I just don't want to totally destroy the reliability of the bike. I know that with adding that much more power to anything, there's always the chance of something going wrong and the more maintainance that come with it. I've owned many turbo cars with upgraded turbos and I find they are usually more reliable than an n/a car that had a turbo added to it. Ive promised myself never to turbo a motor that didn't come with one again after the experience that I had with one of my cars. But I always dreamed of a turbo busa so I really want to do it as long as I don't have the sale problems I had with that one car
stge 1 w richard setting it up will be as reliable as your bike is stock.. just b/careful when u twist that trottle b/c there is no turning back your hooked!!! i hve a stage 3 done by richard set for track and street well over 500hp runs just like a stocker until i hit it:laugh: signed: ADDICTED....NOTE: i never rode a turbo bike ever and had richard build me a stge 3right from the beginning b/c i knew if i didnt kill myself early in riding i would want more boost...lol..... my point is, u hve to b a speed freak to start to fool w a turbo BULLET LIKE ACCELERATION!!!! GOODLUCK LOL

Back