How old were you, 1st time behind the wheel?

BigDiesel

Registered
I learned to drive on my uncle's pickup truck at age 12....backroads n fields work great:thumbsup:

so I decided to let my daughter give it a shot (turned 12 in April) in an abondoned parking lot filled 6" deep with snow...didnt hit a single snow bank either!:bowdown: she was piloting my 99' Durango in 4wd so no problems w/traction, and the snow falling just made it more scenic.
the expression on her face while driving that truck was priceless.

I didnt know my baby girl could smile so big......:laugh:

Fiftenn, learner's permit hot in hand, drove the family van 10 miles home with my stressed out mom in the passenger's seat white-knuckling it every inch of the way.

:D

--Wag--

13 or 14 around the neighborhood, the only bad part was when my Dad found out because my SISTER TOLD ON ME!!! :angry:

14. Was finally strong enough to manhandle the old man's 1957 International panel truck around the back roads. Moved on to hay trucks and finally a car at 16 that I bought with money made loading and unloading the afore mentioned hay truck.:thumbsup:

I was 10. We lived near keen NH. My drivway was like a mile long, so I learrned on our 1978 f250 plow truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was 13.....my sister decided it was a good idea to let me drive. I don't remember what car she had at the time, but it was on the town roads. Made it home in one piece though! :laugh:

I don't remember, but young, like you, bro...

Farm work often dictates that you move machinery of a variety of sizes and functions, often time with little regard to age...

:beerchug: <==for your daughter's smile!

I was 14 years old at my Dad's motorpool in Baumholder, Germany. He put me in an old VW bug, told me what and where the pedals were and said be careful. I sat there for at least 20 min trying to get the car to move but when I finally did I was singing the Dukes of Hazard song as I careened that car all over the place! Ahhh...memories.

Last edited:
Fiftenn, learner's permit hot in hand, drove the family van 10 miles home with my stressed out mom in the passenger's seat white-knuckling it every inch of the way.

:D

--Wag--

I was 15 as well. This is going to make me feel OLD, but I was 15 and hubby was 16 so he decided to give me driving lessons in his 1969 Chevy Pick-up.

Well, she was 17 and I was like 15...I remember she had this smokin hot bathing suit on and we had just come back from the pool, there were a bunch of people at her house up the street, they were having this cookout see, and her dad had this van so we looked at each other like let's go somewhere...just get away from all these people(her relatives) so she was like, hey you wanna go in my dads van?

So we snuck in there(it was on the street) and then she gave me this look, kinda fiendish and sneaky and then all of a suddeen she latched on to my...???

oh wait....

Oh DRIVING you meant!:rofl:

Umm never mind, continue with the thread...:whistle:

10 - 11ish. Pinto Wagon, back field at farm. Ferrying friends to school on learners permit 14-16

I grew up on a farm so I was driving tractors, farm equipment since about age 9. Around age 12 I talked my dad into making his old pick-up into a field car. I drove the shid out of that old Ford 150! Little did he know about all the "burn outs" on the back road!:whistle: Of course we also were riding the fields on dirt bikes since we were very young. OH---those were the days!:laugh:

Dad ran an autobody biz on the house property, I started shuffling cars around I'd say about 12-13. First time on public roads I was 14 and it was my dads 75 vette ??? still have no idea what the hell he was thinking.

In fact thats the only car I drove untill I got my learners permit at 15 :wtf:

I was 12 and talked my sisters boyfriend into letting me drive his stick shift corvair. If he ever wanted to be alone with her, I would hang out as close to them as possiable untill he would throw me the keys and say " why don't you go for a nice long ride".:laugh:

Back