How often for professional service??

Clinton Roberts

Registered
Hey Yall, My mechanical expertise pretty much ends with changing tires, fluids, final drive chain/sprockets, and torquing bolts, etc. Stuff like that. I don't wanna take the bike in every 4000 miles to get serviced by a professional if it doesn't need it. Just wondering how long yall wait to get your bike serviced by a professional and have them go through it to make sure all is well? Any further advice or comments would be great and much appreciated. Thanks.
Clinton

Yes, welcome and enjoy this place with us. As far as your question mine has 17K on it and has never been to the shop after the first service. I think I will learn to do everything myself. I don't like the shops. Sounds like you have some mechanical skills so you should be OK

:welcome: to the oRg There's lots of things you can easily do on your own. Since '06 I've logged 60K miles on Busi. The shop has only been involved in warranty and recall work.

i also prefer to do everything myself! its far better on the pocket book that way!

just get a workshop manual and follow the directions!

side note: i find checking and adjusting valve clearances on Shim type valved a pain in the ASS

Welcome to the oRg. I also do my own maintenance. If I had a tire changing machine I would never need to go Cycle gear. :welcome:

:welcome: as said it dosnt sound like your incapable , so if you follow the service book it should no prob & of course if you do run in to difficulties you always have the org . now thats better than any shop for info !!!

Hi, sounds like you will be able to do the servicing yourself, with maybe some help when it comes around to valve clearances.
My current Busa (my third) has 800 miles on the clock and will never see a Dealer :please:

Best regards Stretch :laugh:
PS and welcome from another ORG newbie :beerchug:

22K on my 08 and never been in for service. I plan to take it in for the valves check only, and do everything else myself. I know my valves are due for a check according to the manual, going to look into doing it myself this winter.

Welcome :welcome: and like everyone else has said, if your have the correct tools, a manual and TIME. Everything is fairly easy, except working on internal items. It is more difficult and time comsuming when you have to take radiators, heads or trans apart. You can still do it, it just takes TIME AND WORKING SPACE. Along with a LOVING Wife if you have one :laugh:

hey clinton and :welcome: let me say this..i couldnt turn a wrench to save my life...but with the good org and the write ups...(includeing my own) you can do it

Hey Yall, Thanks for the encouragement and the welcome! There's several special tools that the manual says I need, so there's several things I can't do yet. What did you all inspect for your 7000 mile inspection? Is it really necessary to change spark plugs at 7000 miles? Yeah, the internal checks is what's got me thinking I should take it into the shop. Like the throttle valve sync, evap control system, pair system, valve clearance, forks, and rear suspension. I have an Easy Rizer Big Blue bike lift which should make things a tad bit easier maybe. But I tore the bike down to replace the engine coolant according to service manual instructions, and I paid a guy $50 to come show me the easy way, lol. Then I had trouble getting the thing put back together. I've only been riding for about 5,000 miles and that was the first time I've taken it apart that far. Any further directions to the right forums or aid would be helpful! Thanks.
Clinton

The shops in my area are pretty terrible. I don't trust them to do much more than change tires after I pull the wheels off my bike. If I need anything serious done, like the ~25k valve adjustment, I'll buy some upgrades and take the bike to an engine builder. If I can help it, my bike will never see the inside of a stealership again.

I don't use shops either. But keep in mind if you are worried about reassembly take some photo's first, get an organizer tray, or just mark them. When you run into special tools required are just post or search here. I am rebuilding mine and have had the swingarm and everything behind it off and front forks with triples off, still haven't had to buy any special tools. (just a couple very large sockets)

When I ran into snags the good people here replied to my cries for help within minutes. (if that long)

haha Yeah, this site is awesome. Great peoples, too! I ride a B-King (my bike is better, haha) and on the b-king forum, people aren't as forthcoming as yall have been. This is wonderful! Thanks yall for the help and support here!

Back