how often do you adjust your chain?

Chango

Registered
Had the bike two seasons now same chain. Bike is an 2006 with 22,500 miles on it. Just did a adjustment about 1000 miles ago. What is the normal duration before a chain adjustment?

I don't think there is a certain interval. I check the slack during my pre-ride inspection - that's before every ride. If it's good, there is nothing to adjust. A lot depends on the chain quality, how people ride, how often the chain is lubed, whether it was too tight (and in this case it will stretch really quickly). For example, I've had new chain on my turbo bike for 1.5 years and about 5,000 miles, and didn't adjust even once. I do lube it every few hundred miles or so.

There is no set time or miles for your chain adjustment.

You clean it, lube it, or adjust it as needed.

manual recommends clean and lubricate every 600 miles. adjust chain slack to specs (0.8-1.2 inches) as needed

I'm touching 7,000 miles and chain adjustment is still on the original settings. (Third back tire, so the back wheel has been out two times, but the adjusters are still where they were when the bike was new)

I don't believe in lubricating a chain with anything which will attract dust as grinding past is exactly that. Carbide and lubricant. I cleaned my chain the day the bike came off the showroom floor to get the grease off, for the above reason. Have used Dupont a few times, but not much. Still not sure if I believe in lubricating a sealed o-ring chain?

IMHO it is impossible to clean an oily chain impregnated with dust (grinding paste) without removing the chain and soaking it thoroughly, which is not really an option. This is not an option on the Busa and trying to remove impregnated dust with the chain on the bike only makes things worse.

Again IMHO all the Dupont does, is keep the o-rings from drying out, so the pins and bushes remain sealed without ingress of dirt. It also keeps the chain clean, but has little to no effect of lubricating underneath the rollers or between rollers and sprocket.

Every time I need new tags in NC, DMV needs inspection. Every time the mechanic tells me my chain is dry, if he should lube it. I always so no and ask if he is not impressed with how clean the chain is :-)

You will need to adjust it frequently over the first few thousand miles and rarely after that. Just like the others said, keep it clean and lubed with Du Pont Chain Saver about every 600 miles and it will last a long time. I got over 30k on my first chain. Every few chain lubes I really spray the hell out of it with the chain saver to get out any grime between the side plates, allow it to dry then wipe the outside of the sideplates down with a cloth. Keeps the chain clean and shiny and the only place you really need the lube is between the plates. Unlike jellyrug, I back off my adjusters when I remove the rear wheel for tire changes and the readjust after I reinstall holds until the next tire change.

Back