How much tread do I have left on my tire...

Slowstang305

Registered
Looks pretty bald to me in the center since all I do is pile straight miles on. Is this ready to be retired? Please excuse the dirt, I have not cleaned it after yesterday's ride.

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

So long as you are just riding locally you can keep tabs on it and not have far to get back home if needed. I’d only be concerned if you were planning to leave out on an extended trip. But it’s hard to gauge from your pic and certain tires wear really fast when they get to that point while others seem to last quite awhile. It appears that they should hang in there a bit longer. I’d replace once you see wear in the middle like this tire below or just shy of that (belt wasn’t showing around whole tire at this point only that spot) but when you get close you will see an obvious wear mark

D00C1A81-D1C5-4F9C-9632-79A102366AE8.jpeg

I like what @Bobby914 says, and agree when I can afford to, but personally, being constantly broke, I'd put another 500 on it and then decide
It’s always easier to spend someone else’s money lol.

I don’t know the original poster and his riding habits but I do know he has two bikes that he rides and is in Miami, he recently posted having a long ride of 260 miles if I’m not mistaken, my point being he does not travel far and his miles are pretty much in the city getting short rides in here or there, if all that is accurate this tire may serve him and that purpose for awhile longer. At this point he could have a spare waiting in the wings.

Perhaps my assumption is wrong but if he’s mainly cruising around south beach this tire has him covered

Last edited:
Looks pretty bald to me in the center since all I do is pile straight miles on. Is this ready to be retired? Please excuse the dirt, I have not cleaned it after yesterday's ride.

View attachment 1606521

View attachment 1606522

View attachment 1606523

View attachment 1606524

View attachment 1606525

I don’t wash the bottoms of my tires but a clean tire would’ve been easier to judge. As it looks there’s plenty of tire left. Just don’t set out for a thousand miler.

I don't see any wear bars in the sipes. I have run mine until I see the carcass peeking through in one spot on the center. Probably not a smart thing to do but based on that, I'd say you're ok until you can order a new tire.
I can see the wear bars, they are hard to see though...

Annotation 2019-10-20 222400.png

That is a wear bar shown in your photo. It is flush with the surface of the tread.The tire is due for replacement. Cords showing is not an indication that the tire needs to be replaced, but is an indicator of a rather indifferent attitude to personal safety.

Flame suit on...

LOL

cheers
ken

Thanks guys. I think ill use as is for a little while until I get some more cash during a pay period and snag a new tire then. Appreciate all of the responses!
Agree with kml go by the wear bars get a cheap $3 tire tread gauge from Walmart which is informative. Now Tached is not wrong either but I would start planning on saving for the new tire now since at the minimum safe limit & heavy high HP Busas will eat up tires fast near the end.

Back