How much tire weights is to much.

Mathewrussell52

Registered
I just bought a Michelin piolt road 2 for the front. I took it to a small local shop I have never used before. It cost me $212 with me taking it off the bike $46 to change the tire $150 for the tire. Didn’t mind I know they have to make $$.

So my last tire that was the same tire had no weights on it. The new one has 1 1/4oz. This looks like a lot for a motorcycle tire. Is it?

The didn’t put the valve stem cap back on. Not a big deal but makes me worry about the attention to detail.

I just bought a Michelin piolt road 2 for the front. I took it to a small local shop I have never used before. It cost me $212 with me taking it off the bike $46 to change the tire $150 for the tire. Didn’t mind I know they have to make $$.

So my last tire that was the same tire had no weights on it. The new one has 1 1/4oz. This looks like a lot for a motorcycle tire. Is it?

The didn’t put the valve stem cap back on. Not a big deal but makes me worry about the attention to detail.
Did they line up the yellow dot with the stem? Not sure if that specific tire has markings on it.

Don’t see any
Did they line up the yellow dot with the stem? Not sure if that specific tire has markings on it.
Don't see any. They used nice black stick on ones so it don’t look bad just thought it was a lot of weight all 5 lines up on one side my rear I had done at a difrent shop had 1/2oz 2 on each side. It’s a Shinko would not of thought twice knowing its a cheep tire.

1.25 is no issue, and will be fine. Remember a motorcycle wheel balancing is more static than a dynamic were you place weight on both sides of the rim lips.

I have had to put as much as 2.5 OZ on a cheap tire ( shinko) to balance it no matter where it was mounted on the rim.
Over the years I have found the weight usually goes on or close to same place on a wheel. This hints to a heavy spot on the rim itself.

Don’t see any
Don't see any. They used nice black stick on ones so it don’t look bad just thought it was a lot of weight all 5 lines up on one side my rear I had done at a difrent shop had 1/2oz 2 on each side. It’s a Shinko would not of thought twice knowing its a cheep tire.
Sometimes I forget that I have pressure sensors on mine and line up the yellow Dot on the side of the tire with the stem, instead of the sensor itself (where the sensor is it’s the heaviest spot on the wheel) is and have to use more weights than normal or break the bead again and rotate the tire on the wheel, until it’s at the desired location.

$46 to mount and balance a tire???

Sounds low to average for dealers where I live, and that's bringing them the wheels.

Most all car tire changers now days can change motorcycle tires too, so if you know a competent car mechanic, you can usually save some money.
A static tire balancer is around $100 too, and can quickly pay for itself, as well as save you time.

I started using these because a friend of mine told me guess what happens when your hauling butt and a weight comes off! Switched to these and never looked back. They say on there site they use them in semi trucks, airplanes, just about anything.

Ditch the weights save $$$ on BS balancing and run this stuff!!! Seriously it’s liquid GOLD....... Ive been running it in my Busa and my Harley’s for years.

3363A24A-E59A-44A0-8A66-BEBA1281333C.jpeg

Negative! DO NOT USE RIDE ON! It’s complete junk that over time eats your tire and wheel. I’m a 10 year HarleyDavidson tech and have seen it over and over

Back