How much play is normal for the cush drive?

Chango

Registered
I was cleaning my chain and relubing it and I notice there is some play in my rear sproket. This concerned me because I have never noticed this before. How much play is normal if any at all. If I need to get work done what all would I need to order to remedy this issue. Thanks in advance.

Is the play you noticed while everything was tight to the proper specs and the wheel on the bike?

How many miles?

I think a tiny amount of play is OK. You don't want it to tight and binding up.

You could remove the rear wheel and check the condition of the cushions.

Thankyou for the answer! I think I've become paranoid. I did not know it was supposed to move at all. It's not much at all. The bike is a 2006 now at 19000 miles and I'm meticulous about up keep. That puts my mind at ease. It also shows me how little I know about bikes. Lesson learned thanks again.

you stated that it was your rear sprocket..

the hub is ok to have slight play, not sprocket...

someone wiser than me please correct me if i am wrong..

Again that is my fault. I didn't even know what a cush drive was until I looked it up on google this morning. It was not the sprocket it was the hub! sorry!

Well if that were the case, I would have replaced them 15 times already. To the OP,
@ 19,000 I would do them on the next tire change.

If you have noticed any increase in driveline slack that is not the chain then replace. I have 32K on the originals and they are fine. I am not a drag racer though.

From your description you should be just fine.

Well if that were the case, I would have replaced them 15 times already. To the OP,
@ 19,000 I would do them on the next tire change.

I'am just going by my personal experience. Mine are a tad loose @ 6-7K miles when I change out the tire's. For the cost, there cheap and easy to do while the wheel is off.

Question is...what if it's a tad loose? is there any loss in the drive, extra vibrations? Maybe we need to understand why replacing them can make a difference.
I'm sure there are a lot of riders who are not even aware of this.

There are a few other things to consider here.

The real axle shaft runout service limit is 0.010 (ten thousandth of an inch).
The OP said he was a big guy so there is a small chance it could be out of tolerance.

There are also bearing in the wheels. The manual says check for abnormal noise and smooth rotation.

Then there are the dampers themselves. Again just look for anything abnormal.

Replace any of the above if needed.
I guess if the bike is running smooth as silk then I wouldn't worry about it to much.
But since everyone might have a different opinion of a "tad loose" it might be worth looking into some of the above.

JMHO Hope that helps....

I'd change them . they do wear out . Pashnit sells the poly ones that last longer

I swapped mine at 13K miles. It was like a whole new bike. Crisper, smoother, more fluid in the shifting. I put the German made Poly ones in. They are VERY tight to get in. but once in, they aren't gonna go bad for a long long time. I will NEVER go back to stock.

Back