How much out are your factory chain adjustment marks?

mike1180

Banned
I just adjusted my chain with my accurate adjusting gauge.
Here are how much the factory marks are out:
Out by a little less than 1 full line.
Too much for my comfort esp. at high speed.

r after_edited1.JPG

l after_edited1.JPG

When it's off, is the same side closer or farther on everyone's bike, and what is the most accurate way of adjusting the chain?

the marks on swing arm should not be used for allignment, the chain does not get lose, it stretches and for that reason i don't use the marks on swing arm.
there is a perfect way to do it which is using the string and put the rear wheel on stand and try to balance with front wheel.
i use tape measurement from tip of the rim to insid part of swing arm on both side and try to match it that way.

chain_alignment_tool

Just get this tool and take the guess work out of the alignment. Installs in ten seconds, works great, removes in less time. It attaches to the rear sprocket and the rod shows the alignment of the chain under neath it. Cost about $24

chain_alignment_tool

Just get this tool and take the guess work out of the alignment. Installs in ten seconds, works great, removes in less time. It attaches to the rear sprocket and the rod shows the alignment of the chain under neath it. Cost about $24

I saw one somewhere that was like that and had a battery powered laser that shone a beam to line it up.
They make those laser levels so you can hang pictures etc in a straight line, and they used that with a mount like the one you show.

chain_alignment_tool

I made one of these as well. It works pretty good too. The one that goes from pivot c/l to axle c/l is a tiny bit more accurate, and my bike regularly sees 180+ so it's just a mind thing,that's all.They are both good products. The one you use is a bit quicker though...:thumbsup:

My marks were pretty much spot on so I use a Sears caliper to check rear wheel alignment and chain adjustment.

Back