How much is a billion dollars, and why does anyone need multiple billions?

moloko

Banned
9 Pictures That Expose This Country's Obscene Division of Wealth | Economy | AlterNet

Interesting read. Absolutely infuriates me, and nothing we can do about it.

1% of our population has it REALLY good.
PS: these are the people who are really running our government.

Top 1% owns more than 90% of us combined. "In 2007, the latest year for which figures are available from the Federal Reserve Board, the richest 1% of U.S. households owned 33.8% of the nation’s private wealth. That’s more than the combined wealth of the bottom 90 percent."

Thanks Moloko, Im gonna go sit in the bathtub and cry for a few days....

Lauren's car collection is amazing to say the least, alot of his cars are one of a kind racers or well restored classics, along with the countless Benz's and exotics.

Some facts or statistics are sickening such as these economic ones...and it would be interesting to know how much other currency they invest in...such as the euro.

Who cares? You have the same exact opportunities go make a billion or two... If your gonna complain about people having too much money lets at least get the ones where you and I pay the salaries like politicians....

Go make something so cool that everyone wants it and then you can be at the top of the list too... Why have multiple billions, cause they can...

Who cares? You have the same exact opportunities go make a billion or two... If your gonna complain about people having too much money lets at least get the ones where you and I pay the salaries like politicians....

Go make something so cool that everyone wants it and then you can be at the top of the list too... Why have multiple billions, cause they can...

:werd:

I'm still working on my magic doozamawicky that you will have to have more than one of :)

I got my first billion the 3rd year this website was open...

I got my first billion the 3rd year this website was open...

I knew it , I knew it :laugh:

I wish somebody would write an article about the 20% in this nation that do nothing but take and never have worked a day in their miserable lives, never had to be responsible for anyone or anything including their children.

I'm probably living just above the poverty level, but I don't envy these billionaires or millionaires that pay more than their part and in most cases had to work for everything they have. Yes it would be nice to have a cool mil in the bank :laugh: but I don't want someone who worked for it just handing it to me.

I knew it , I knew it :laugh:

I wish somebody would write an article about the 20% in this nation that do nothing but take and never have worked a day in their miserable lives, never had to be responsible for anyone or anything including their children.

I'm probably living just above the poverty level, but I don't envy these billionaires or millionaires that pay more than their part and in most cases had to work for everything they have. Yes it would be nice to have a cool mil in the bank :laugh: but I don't want someone who worked for it just handing it to me.

Well if they offered it I would gladly except it but they owe me nothing..

I have not problem with people earning this much when they actually earn it. But the people who think they are entitled to it regardless. CEOs who bankrupt their companies but still feel they deserve 8 digit bonuses for doing so. Athletes who reject $200M contracts because they think they deserve $300M.

I have not problem with people earning this much when they actually earn it. But the people who think they are entitled to it regardless. CEOs who bankrupt their companies but still feel they deserve 8 digit bonuses for doing so. Athletes who reject $200M contracts because they think they deserve $300M.

Oh I agree with you about the shinanagans that some pull, and that are probably in violation of federal law, but then what does our government do. It bails them out. :laugh:

The fact is...the richest 2% of people in this country DO owe the middle class something. The awful packaged mortgages, ponzi scams, raiding employee funds, AIG, Enron, the S&L debacle, outsourcing, oil company profits(multinational by the way). When will we stop voting against our own best interests as the workers of this country? Why do some support the unlimited acquisition of wealth by a few powerful and greedy ones at the expense of the great employees and working class of our Country?
Why is it OK for a CEO to take millions from his company right before the company nose dives and the stock tanks? Quit blaming the stupid government for these actions, quit acting like the private sector is closer to God and the government is automatically the evil one.
I was a Marine, a US Coast Guard skipper, a Deputy Sheriff, Harbor Patrolman and now a Public School Teacher and I proudly defend the thousands of people like me who have saved lives, taught kids right and wrong, stood in the face of evil to protect society....we civil servants don't shout loud enough about how we keep this Country going.
Sure, try to neutralize my arguement by pointing to bad politicians, wrongdoing by the government, I've heard it all and it doesn't amount to a coat of paint in contrast to the sacrifice and commitment I've seen and lived in the "public sector".

If you're worried about "what we leave our children" you better be worried about the corporatacracy that the United States is becoming.

i've started working on my second million, i gave up on the first one since it was taking too long to acquire! :thumbsup:

9 Pictures That Expose This Country's Obscene Division of Wealth | Economy | AlterNet

Interesting read. Absolutely infuriates me, and nothing we can do about it.

1% of our population has it REALLY good.
PS: these are the people who are really running our government.

Perhaps you would be happy if the USA was a third world country, more poor folks to keep you company. Also be a lot fewer rich folks to hate. Wait that sounds like an even higher division of wealth.

Some people use their infuriation as motivation to get a bigger piece of the pie, others do nothing, then complain about their little sliver.

Corporations don't just pop up out of the ground. Someone (an individual/s) founds them. I appreciate them, I like to buy their products. Makes my life easier and more enjoyable. Where would we be without them? I'm going to keep supporting them. I want their computers, phones, DVD's, oil and gas, cars, motorcycles, groceries, lumber, electricity, MRI's, X Rays, prescription drugs.

I don't want to raise the cow and it's feed, butcher it, try to perseve it without refrigeration, make shoes out of it's hide, nor do I want to fell tees, saw them into lumber to build my house, heat it with the scraps and forge nails to hold it together.

The complainers and haters have no freakin' idea how good they really have it. They have way more than they realize and don't appreciate it because someone else has more. That's what infuriates me!

The fact is...the richest 2% of people in this country DO owe the middle class something. The awful packaged mortgages, ponzi scams, raiding employee funds, AIG, Enron, the S&L debacle, outsourcing, oil company profits(multinational by the way). When will we stop voting against our own best interests as the workers of this country? Why do some support the unlimited acquisition of wealth by a few powerful and greedy ones at the expense of the great employees and working class of our Country?
Why is it OK for a CEO to take millions from his company right before the company nose dives and the stock tanks? Quit blaming the stupid government for these actions, quit acting like the private sector is closer to God and the government is automatically the evil one.
I was a Marine, a US Coast Guard skipper, a Deputy Sheriff, Harbor Patrolman and now a Public School Teacher and I proudly defend the thousands of people like me who have saved lives, taught kids right and wrong, stood in the face of evil to protect society....we civil servants don't shout loud enough about how we keep this Country going.
Sure, try to neutralize my arguement by pointing to bad politicians, wrongdoing by the government, I've heard it all and it doesn't amount to a coat of paint in contrast to the sacrifice and commitment I've seen and lived in the "public sector".

If you're worried about "what we leave our children" you better be worried about the corporatacracy that the United States is becoming.

So Doyle lets make sure you and I agree on a couple of things...

1. You are an awesome example of a guy that has lived out service to your country and community. I have had the honor of shaking your hand, laughing with you and riding with you... Thank you for all the things that you have done, no sarcasm intended but a serious heartfelt thank you.

2. Only a few of the things you listed are illegal and I think that is an important fact. Enron, ponzi schemes and such are absolutely illegal and I agree that those were a problem. As a country we need to look at them closely so we can put more oversite in place, not govt oversite just oversite.

3. While I hate outsourcing myself it is not illegal, if a company can save a lot of money they are going to do it. Until enough people complain to companies nothing will change. We want lower cost but it is a fact that thecost to manufacturer in the US is higher. The US workers have driven many of the jobs out of the country because of the demand for outrageous wages regardless of education, experience or quality.

4. The Golden parachutes that many CEO's took as an example during this last economic downfall are perfectly legal. While most Americans find the greed to be dispicable it is not illegal. As a matter of fact most of those CEO's had contracts in place to pay them REGARDLESS of how they drove the companies into the ground. This is why I was so frustrated when the bailout money was being paid to all levels of management at companies that used bailout money, there were contracts in place. We all heard of the CEO's that took the money they had legal contracts for, who do you blame? Should you blame the CEO for taking the money he was contractually obligated or do you blame the attorneys who drew it up and the board of directors or the shareholders?

5. Don't take this last point as though I am criticising you at all, as I said I respect EVERY thing you have done for this country. All of the positions it appears were your choice, you chose to be a Marine (of course unless you were drafted) a deputy, harbor patrolman, skipper and a teacher. At any point in your career you had the option to apply to be a CEO or start your own business. I learned many years ago that as a Police officer or a firefighter I would never make a lot of money. I wanted a family and to put my kids through college so I left the jobs I loved serving and moved into the corporate tech world where the pay was better. Your service is greatly appreciated and it takes a special person to deal with the things you have but you can't be upset with people that made other choices and now are rich.

I don't blame JUST the governement I also blame the leasership of many companies for the economic downturn. Bad management absolutely ruined many companies.

So why be mad at Bill Gates or Jack Welch for having tons of money, they made some great choices and with those choices came a great reward...

Cap

Hi Doug,
Well, here's my perspective on this stuff (it would take a book but some abriged points anyway).....I don't see is so much as legal or illegal although that's certainly one way to look at it. I see the decisions to change your workforce to other countries as a way to increase one's profit at the expense of your own country. The very people that play the "patriot" card if you disagree with them are the ones that would use you to train your replacement that will take his skills back to India for the company. Then you can find another job at minimum wage in the good ol USA...wait, there are no jobs left. This situation has been repeated thousands of times in our country and what do some of us say? They say "oh well, at least things are cheaper", that's great, you go Wal Mart, hurray for China and Wal Mart.
It's not about illegal Doug, it's about immorality. It's about breaking pension contracts for the benefit of profit. Capitalism works when honor and agreements trump greed.

Let's be honest, there are two general schools of thought that seem to dominate ln this country right now. The conservative outlook and the progressive/liberal outlook. Yes, we jump back and forth on some issues (like guns for me, for example) but basically minds are seldom changed.
I believe the middle class is going away in our country because of the above issues and we therefore, will loose something great that used to define us. I also believe that the very people that are exploited oftentimes vote in the very folks that only listen to corporate lobbyists, not we the people. I could ramble on but just know I appreciate and respect you very much Doug, thanks for being a bud!
Doyle

ps I like Bill Gates and Jack Welch a lot, BTW, they both participate in meaningful endowments that support cancer research, special education, etc.

Wow..... the misconceptions in this thread.... Nevertheless, I am glad most of you are okay with making piss poor wages in order to better fill the coffers of a company's CEO. I mean, obviously they need that extra couple million more than we need a few extra dollars an hour. I obviously don't work hard enough and was provided the exact same opportunities...lol... The top 400 in this country isn't filled with athletes and movie stars btw. I don't see how people are against spreading the wealth a little? I mean seriously, let the "poor" have their pensions and let the rich lose a couple million from their BILLIONS. I've also noticed that the higher up the ladder, the less work you actually do, just sayin... Yeah yeah, there are always exceptions to the rules.

Also, much of what happened with the bailout (paying bonuses, etc.) WAS illegal, but you are right, no one was arrested, which is the most infuriating part.

Back