How much hp on a bike does it take to gain 1mph in the quarter?

teezy

Registered
Assuming the bike is setup to take full advantage of the quarter mile and the rider is a bad ass. How much hp does it take to gain 1mph on a bike?

example:

155whp busa traps 137.....what would 160whp busa trap?

Too many other variables like wind, temp, humidity, elavation come in to that question(assuming the rider is the same). But 5hp isn't going to do it.
The 1/4 mile experts will see your post and point you in the right direction.:welcome:

Dont forget, HP is worthless without torque. As said there are hundreds of factors that would play out, take a lucky guess and that's it.

sent from G2 via tapatalk.

i'd say put a couple stickers on the busa, it'll give it at least 10hp:laugh: that's what people do around here:whistle: but i agree with sixpack on this one:thumbsup:

No idea. But here's a nifty lil' calculator.

Horsepower Design Equation Formula Calculator - Engine Horsepower Trap Speed Method

Bear in mind, the calculator doesn't take into account anything other than weight, power and velocity. Any variables beyond the equation must also be considered.

For a 137 trap speed with a 600 pound rider/vehicle, it suggests 120 HP.
For a 140 trap speed with a 600 pound rider/vehicle, it suggests 128 HP.

Of course, the big thing that's not accounted for is wind resistance. Anything over 50 mph the wind resistance is the most significant factor. Anything over 100, the wind resistance is massive. Get slippery, get light, THEN add more power. :)

One other factor too is hitting your shift points perfectly. I normally run 141-143 mph in the 1/4. I have cranked out a couple of 147 mph runs when I was running 143-144 all day. The air quality was actually 200' worse than it had been all day,thats not a whole lot of difference and the bike should have run about the same. I did take out 3% on the fuel and advanced the timing 4 degrees. I dont think that adjustment would make THAT much difference and too this day dont know how it went that fast up top.

lets says you have a perfect day and hit your shifts perfect.

you make 3 passes in stock forum dynoing 150whp

you add exhaust,pc and air filter same day and dyno 160whp

what would the mph gain be?

My trap speeds were 137-138 prior to my engine work. 147-148mph after. The engine work gained about 30hp.

I've put several hundreds of passes on it.

Last edited:
You can also paint it RED !:laugh: thats the fastest color

mine was doing 146 with 167rwhp

230suited stretched lowered shinko tire at around 20lbs psi and that was at sea level . just tuned by Goldenchild and racing with him

With it bored i'm hoping to get a 9.0

HELL YEAH!!!

My goals right now are

stretch to 62'
drag radial
non o ring chain

then cam/mill combo later this year

and 1441 next year

With a nice dry shot thrown in there somewhere

155 then to 187 on a 250i

I was about 245#s in my shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk