How much gas is left in the hose?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
Ever wonder how much gas and what grade of gas is still in the hose when we gas up our tiny gas tanks? Some of the hoses are very very long and I'm wondering where is the shut off valve in the hose. Is it at the handle or way back at the end of the hose or even inside the pump somewhere? How much fuel do those hoses hold anyway? For those wanting hi octane fuel from a pump with only one hose, how much hi octane are you getting if the previous user bought regular grade?

winkold.gif
never gave it a thought.

Hmmmm, never gave it much thought although I do shake out what's left in the nozzle before I pump

Well most pumps the hose is attached about 6-8ft up. You get the gas that's in the hose after the pump turns off for the down section. I would imagine the gas in the up section would drain back into the holding tank?

I used to drive around till I found a pump that was last filled with 93, but it's becoming so hard these days with everyone using regular. On the bike, I don't care, but my cars require premium.
rock.gif

The check valve (or anti-reverse flow device) is at the nozzle.  Whatever the person before you pumped is what you get for approximately the first 10 ounces of gas that you pump but after you fill up (with 93 I presume) the concentration of the fuel in your tank is relatively the same as if you had pumped premium from the beginning.  Nothing to worry about.

Not high on my list of concerns...all my vehicles run on regular except the GSXR750. I accidentally put regular in it one day and could not tell any difference.

The check valve (or anti-reverse flow device) is at the nozzle.  Whatever the person before you pumped is what you get for approximately the first 10 ounces of gas that you pump but after you fill up (with 93 I presume) the concentration of the fuel in your tank is relatively the same as if you had pumped premium from the beginning.  Nothing to worry about.
This is absolutly correct the average fuel hose is a total of 10 feet. The average is about 1 ounce for every foot of hose (depending on the type of hose on the gas pump, stations that use vapor recovery motors actually only hold about 1/2 ounce per foot.

I am going to sit around and wait for somebody to fill up with 93, then go buy .50cents worth of 87 octane....over and over and over again. Save myself .20cents a gallon for premium...

No never did wonder. The Turbo is on 93 and up plus octane boost if I am racing. If niot racing it really does not matter for 6 oz

Back