How much force Can you use.

newman

Registered
Every now and then I put a question on the org about what happens in different situation in the US a compared to England.
This on is on how much force can you use if someone is breaking into your property.
Some guy here heard a noise in the night went downstairs and found four guys in masks trying to break in the back door, one had a machete, after a struggle this guy stabbed one of the buglers to death, and what happens is he gets arrested along with his son and his sons girlfriend, now today this man has been told none of them will face charges, because they used reasonable force in the situation they faced.
The guy who was stabbed was already out on bail for burglary.
The whole situation here in England on reasonable force seems a very gray area.
I know they are trying to bring in a new law about defending your property, but don't know what it entails yet.
I know I would try to protect my property, but you never know here what weapons someone could have on them.
So in the US what can you do if someone breaks in or is trying to break in, what level of force can you use to protect yourselves, and does it change from State to State.

There are some differences from State to State, but the lastest that most states seem to be putting into law is the "Castle Doctrine", i.e., your home is your castle and you have the right to use deadly force if someone is inside or trying to get inside.

It hasn't been this way for long - we went thru a long period where the Brady bill supporters (anti-gun) were getting their way with restricting guns and the laws, but lately the Conservative elements of the population have been fighting back and winnig.

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Well, Saiid beat me to it and with a better explanation.

Here in CT deadly force is okay but there are some rules. like if you have a safe route to get away from them you must use that first, if they persue you again deadly force is allowed. lucky for me my bedrooms are on the second floor...sucks to be whoever tries to come upstairs...

In Oklahoma if someone is trying to break in your house, has a weapon, you can shoot him through the door. You don't have to wait until he's slicing you up or shooting you. If he's just breaking in, let him enter (confront if you want), then SHOOT :guns: HIM. Or in my case, sick TWO DOBERMANS on him :laugh: . Then if he jumps my fence he can face my neighbors ROTTWELLERS :rofl: . It's called Immanent Danger :whistle:

they can't have guns in england. but yes, in America, we're allowed to shoot you full of holes if you're trying to get into our homes.

Colorado has a "make my day" law . He would have been justified here .

Yes sir, here as long as they are in your house, good to go, there have been countless court battles over it but unless they were REALLY excessive force cases i havent heard of anyone being convicted because of it. Only thing i was told by my swat buddy that will get ya in hot water is if you shoot while they are making a legit attempt to leave. Which at the end of the day where i'm from you never shoot another man in the back!

they can't have guns in england. but yes, in America, we're allowed to shoot you full of holes if you're trying to get into our homes.

Not everywhere. Wisconsin still doesn't see the law that way...

Posted with my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk.

In Texas, you can pick of the burglar as he breaks in your neighbors house, "Boom Headshot" will be displayed if your good:whistle:

In NY, I think they have to die inside your house if you shoot em, not positive tho. I hope I dont have to find out, potential burglars REALLY hope I dont find out.

In Texas, you can pick of the burglar as he breaks in your neighbors house, "Boom Headshot" will be displayed if your good:whistle:

In NY, I think they have to die inside your house if you shoot em, not positive tho. I hope I dont have to find out, potential burglars REALLY hope I dont find out.

Yes you also gain extra Xp for headshots :laugh:
May even unlock a new weapon or something else.

getting through the criminal side is a mess, the civil side is even worse. I have a back hoe :whistle:

That was the huge thing surrounding this in colorado, if you shoot em outside you better drag em through your front door before the police show up:rulez:

Good thread, good question.

We hear horror stories of how Britain would prefer to pursue homeowners rather than the bad guys who break into their homes.

I continually wonder how true they are but there appears to be a preponderance of them.

Breaks my heart ever time I read one.

Lately, there have been similar stories out of Australia, ever since they banned all handguns. Keeping an eye on their situation too.

That was the huge thing surrounding this in colorado, if you shoot em outside you better drag em through your front door before the police show up:rulez:

Bad idea. If you shoot someone, you better leave 'em where they fall, otherwise, you'll be brought up on charges of tampering with evidence and all of your other defenses for the shooting will be questioned as if you were trying to cover up a murder.

Best to leave the body where they fall, always.

--Wag--

Bad idea. If you shoot someone, you better leave 'em where they fall, otherwise, you'll be brought up on charges of tampering with evidence and all of your other defenses for the shooting will be questioned as if you were trying to cover up a murder.

Best to leave the body where they fall, always.

--Wag--

Well aware of that its a figure of speech around here, shoot em in the house and they tell ya have a good night, shoot em in your driveway and your heading for jail

Not neccesarily . There was an individual who lived near five points in denver not too long ago . A group of teens were attempting to break into his house . He shot and killed one on his front porch and no charges were filed .

It all depends on what state one lives in. In one state you have the right to defend your property. In California, you are expected to run. Then call 911. Different state, different county, different city.

Be judged by 6 than carried by 6.

Back