How much for a dealership?

Dealership support

• I support my dealer, rate him excellent.

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • I avoid dealers, buy stuff online.

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • Looking for an excellent dealer better than mine.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • Don't really care where I buy.

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
So, I'm bored at the office, my assignment is done fourth quarter and I'm thinking....:whistle:

See an add for a North East Kawasaki/Suzuki/KTM dealer for 1.2mil.

Wonder how many stealerships closed in these times and how many bargains are around?

Of all the Suzuki dealers I have visited, the one who sold me my bike was the worst, good deal, nothing else. None of the dealers I have EVER visited are as passionate about the product as I am. Those who owns the businesses are normally not around, leaving it to others to run. Does this mean a stealership is easy money, or are people just lazy?

So, I'm thinking, if one really does this well, passionate about the business, there most of the time, dyno tuning and accessories, advice in person and on the phone, online presence, is this maybe a good time to pick up a dying dealership?

I also see Corbin for sale between $10 mil to $20 mil??? Out of my leauge.

These people aren't selling because they made sooo much money.....

I don't get most dealers. Before I picked up my zx10 I was looking at b-kings and found one for $7999+ttf. This was located in central florida and I had to go give a presentation at a conference so it was no hassle for me to drop by. Before I did that I thought I'd give a local a shot and went by House of Power in Palm Bay. I asked the sales guy if they had any bkings and he said not bu tthey could get them. I asked $7999+ttf and he said no way. I told him that was the deal and he just said"That's stupid". I just smiled and went on my marry way. I wound up getting the zx10 but the point is that this guy had no clue. He could have not only sold me a bike but the service and other things that go along with it. Across so many industries I see where folks are clueless about how to compete in a world where the consumer has all information at thier disposal. :whistle:

my issue with the stealership around here is that they don't even try to be competitive. they figure since they're the only suzuki dealer in town, they don't have to deal. i had to drive 340 miles to get my busa, but i got it with 8000 fewer miles, a year newer, with a jacket and 2 helmets. and for 400 dollars less.

Yep, I drove 600 miles away to get my Busa for the right price. I offered my local dealers the same amount for the same bike, but they wouldn't work with me. A road trip is nothing but a good time for me, so it was well worth the trip. Oh well, it's their loss.

I have never had a problem with my dealership in Ohio, excpet that it seems to take an extra day or so to get parts in. They are very competitive with prices not only one bikes but on gear too! I like to do most of the work myself but a few times I have taken the busa and all my other GSX-R's in for work. They were quick reasonably priced and great service! I think if you could pick up a dealership for a cheap price and hire people who know what they are doing and how to treat people it would be a great idea!

buy lelands honda/suzuki here in kalispell. needs a change of management asap.

its to bad we cant all order bikes straight from suzuki, shipped to our houses in a crate and put the front wheel on ourselves....

I think you and Heidi would do great with a dealership. According to a friend of mine that worked as a saleman at a Honda dealer the profit doesnt come from new bikes. He told me they make much more profit from used bikes than new. He also said that service/parts/finance charges/etc add much more to the profit than new bike sales. There are several members here that work at dealers and I am sure they could give you much better advice than I. For sure though it would be fantastic to deal with someone that actually rode motorcycles and has a passion for riding !

its to bad we cant all order bikes straight from suzuki, shipped to our houses in a crate and put the front wheel on ourselves....

i use to work for a dealership... you dont even have to do that. all you do is fold the mirrors out, put the levers on, charge and install the battary and in some cases install the windshild. the cruisers are not that easy tho

I have never had a problem with my dealership in Ohio,

My experience with OH dealerships are pretty good. I travel 6 hours to get new bikes from OH because I save that much.

The big dealership here has changed hands now and they work with you a lot more. I've started dealing local now.

Back to the original thread...I agree with the response that they are not selling because they made bookoos of bucks. But changes can always be made in how a business is run. I saw that here.

My local dealer SUX! Chico MotorSports has been around for a long time and has taken over the other dealers in town. They offer Kawi, Suz, Yami. They have "attitude" when u walk in there. Service Dept and Sales are lame, prices are outragous, I will drive 90 miles to Redding to avoid these guyz.
and the Honda shop here has NO inventory, really, no bikes or watercraft on the floor, but you can order... :(

My theory on businesses in general is that it's got to be a rock and hard place when you're operating a brick and mortar business b/c you're competing with EVERY business in the world that has an internet presence as well as your local competition. I try to support local shops that treat me well, but it can be tough if the same product is sold online for 10% less with free shipping and no tax. That's a 16% discount AND I don't even have to make time to visit the shop to pick it up!

Still, I feel there is a value to supporting courteous, attentive, knowledgeable professionals locally.

Rule # 1: They better treat me with respect and as if they give a shyte or I'll be gone and never come back. With all communication there are two ways to say things: With respect and without. As a professional, there's NEVER any reason to be disrespectful to those with whom you do business, clientelle or assosicates/colleagues. If you can't be respectful then I have to assume you're not a professional and if you're not a professional then I don't wanna do business with you.

Rule # 2: Know or don't know and find the answer, but don't blurt out your best guess as if it's gospel b/c I will learn the truth sooner rather than later and then, yep, I'll be gone and never come back. No point if asking for help if you can't trust the answers you'll get or if you know that you'll find better information on your own.

Rule # 3: Try to compete. I know that every business is out there to make a buck and it's perfectly fair for them to do so, but if a competitor is offering a better deal and I bring that deal to you, at least EXPLORE the offer and see what you can do. If you can't beat it, then match it. If you can't match it, do the best you can and explain to me why you can't do better. If you're a quality business with quality personnel, I'm willing spend a few % more to support you over a know nothing shop that's got nothing but rock bottom prices.

Best of luck!

Dealerships are just like women.

You can't live with them,
and,
you can't live with them.,,or something like that. :laugh:

I bought my first bike, A V Star 1100 at a dealership in albany Ga. I Hated it because of the transmission noise. It had 600 miles on it and they wouldn't even talk to me about trading for even a less expensive bike. I traded it on a VTX 1300 in tifton and got a pretty good deal. Since we have bought four new bikes from them and a lot of accessorys. They are good to deal with. Tifton Cycles, Check them out.:thumbsup:

BTW,

My local dealer was within 5 miles of my house and I've been there many times over the years for gear and parts for other bikes. When I decided to buy a Hayabusa, they were my first stop and I was hoping to buy from them. Unfortunately, they were unwilling to even consider a deal for anything less than list price. The salesman was very cool, but the business simply would not sell for less than list. And this was at the end of fall/beginning of winter in a down market at the beginning of the new model year and I was buying LAST years model, the 2008, and other dealers in the area (I've got about 20 within 50 miles) were dealing like mad. Soo....

I wound up buying from a dealer, Cycle Sport, 40 miles away who gave me a fair market deal on the bike, didn't BS me about anything at any point during the sale and made the entire process a breeze.

Guess where I'll go first for my future dealer needs. :whistle:

:beerchug:

Back