How much drivetrain slack...?

SoCal Blur

Registered
When parking the busa, I always put the bike in 1st gear and then push the bike forward until it stops rolling, flip down the side stand and I'm good. The concept of course is that the bike can only move backwards which will not cause the side stand to flip up. (I also have the kickstand mod)

My question is, when pushing the bike forward while in 1st gear, how far should it move assuming the sprockets and chain are in good shape and have proper tension and the cushdrive rubbers are good?

It may be my imagination but it seems that I have to push the bike a little farther forward before it stops than I used to. What should the distance be and, if its too far, what could be the cause?

Again, it could just be my imagination but it got me to thinking so I thought I would toss it out there to the experts for feedback.

Not far, but I have never noticed how far. Just make sure your chain is adjusted properly and you should be good to go.

In theory,it will move a little more month after month,year after year. As the chain stretches(I know,chains dont stretch blablablah) the trans gets a bit slopier,clutch not as tight,rubber in the cush's degrades,etc. Wear is happening constantly everywhere.

Answer to your question: My Gen I rolls 100MM's.... My Gen II 80MM's both are are in perfect mechanical condition.

RSD.

Right, so as originally stated, assuming the chain, sprockets, cush rubbers are in good shape and chain is at proper tension, what would cause it to move more than say 100mm (~4 inches)? Could the clutch or it's components like the basket, back torque limiter, etc, get sloppy over time? I think my bike moves about 5" (127mm)...

My Gen I 100mm...your Gen I 127mm.

Lets see ....maybe:

different gearing,mine is stock
shorter tire/more wear on tire
other parts worn more on yours
or....

your Busa is fugged. Sell it NOW. :laugh:

RSD.

My Gen I 100mm...your Gen I 127mm.

Lets see ....maybe:

different gearing,mine is stock
shorter tire/more wear on tire
other parts worn more on yours
or....

your Busa is fugged. Sell it NOW. :laugh:

RSD.

:rofl: Yeah...not happening.

I was just curious if that was normal or not. I like to take care of issues before they become emergencies.

I do have different gearing.. +2 in the rear.

I'm surprised that there are not more than three opinions... anyone...anyone..Bueller...? ???

I think most see it as a non-issue.(me too,actually):whistle: But I like to help everyone get an' answer to their questions. I've been doing it for 10+ years on here,why stop now.

+2 = there is yer 27mil.

RSD.

Hey, you made me pay attention today. I always park the bike in 1st gear, release the clutch and roll it forward to a stop, and place the foot of the stand on the ground. My bike rolls less than an inch partner. 2008, 42K miles, ran hard .......

As a great guy use to say, Grip It and Rip It :thumbsup:

Yeah, I need to measure it again. I've only got just 22K miles so far. So depending upon what I find out (I will actually use a ruler to measure this time) if it is close to 4 or 5 inches and it's not the chain, could a component of the clutch assembly be worn and need replacing?

I'm a dummie, but I'd think a bike rolling 5 inches because of a clutch issue would be slipping through the gears. These bikes are torqueeeee.

Okay, I went to the garage, put the girl in 1st gear, rolled her backwards until she stopped. I set her down on the kickstand and marked the garage floor with a sharpie. Then I tilted her up off the stand and moved her forward as far as she would go and then set her back down on the kickstand, once again marking the ground with the sharpie. Taking out my trusty tape measure, to my surprise, it measured only 3 inches between the lines. It sure seems like a lot more so I guess it really was my imagination...although I wonder why your busa only moves 1 inch.

Back