how much chain wax to apply

Revolution

revolution custom paint
Donating Member
Registered
how much chain wax should i be applying? i have a large can of the stuff. a 5th of a can? a 3rd? a 10th?...

thanks

I do 2 passses of the master link at full spray...one on each side from the back, while spinning the wheel with my hand, while the bike is on rear stand, and in nuetral, and while in the garage, and after I just rode, and the chain is still warm, and wipe off excess afterwards and then I am Good to Go.:beerchug:

I do 2 passses of the master link at full spray...one on each side from the back, while spinning the wheel with my hand, while the bike is on rear stand, and in nuetral, and while in the garage, and after I just rode, and the chain is still warm, and wipe off excess afterwards and then I am Good to Go.:beerchug:

:thumbsup:

Exactly. That's the first thing I do when I come home from riding. You gotta cool that chain.
Posted via Mobile Device

Never read the can, but I clean mine with WD 40 while it's warm and then apply a couple rounds on each side. I usually wipe the chain down good after applying the WD 40, cleans everything including the rim up nice.

Never read the can, but I clean mine with WD 40 while it's warm and then apply a couple rounds on each side. I usually wipe the chain down good after applying the WD 40, cleans everything including the rim up nice.

Thats exactly what i do as well.

But please be careful i had a buddy a while ago lose one finger due to the rag getting caught in the chain and upon getting caught grabbed his hand and sent it through the rear sprocket. :( (and yeah i told him right boefore it happened to spin it by hand.):banghead:

Immediately after a ride (chain still warm) Bike on Work stand. WD40 Or Kerosene to clean. WD works best on the rim I find. Side stand up. Start Bike. First gear clutch out. with the wheel spinning ( slowly) and keeping ALL body parts clear as well as loose clothing, etc etc. find the master link ( i got a blue one in to find it easily) Start spraying the INSIDE of the chain for no more than 2 revolutions. (Inside being the part that makes contact with the sprocket of course)
Bike in Neutral. Bike off. Let the wheel stop. Adjust tension of chain to proper spec. wipe chain down with a clean rag. Done. (and ready to hop on and go next time.)

I do the same with WD40, before and after, but skip the chain wax. It took a leap of faith but the darn stuff works, and I've done this for years with no problems (worn sprockets etc).

WD40.jpg

Back