How much air do you tires lose over a 24hr period?

How much air in PSI do you lose in your rear tire over 24hrs?

• None

Votes: 109 92.4%
  • 1->2psi

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • 3-4psi

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 5-6psi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7+ psi

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
This time of year, your cold tire pressure changes are most likely caused by the large fluctuations in ambient air temperature.

:banghead: Your bike and your safety must not be worth $195
It's the ability to know if you have a tire going down while you are riding.
Flat tire at speed can cost much more than $195

CrashTestDanny has the SmartTire monitoring system and loves it. Instant tire pressure and temperature readouts. They stopped making the motorcycle version though.

I think I checked mine once. they were still there!

No, I check mine about once a week. I've only added air to them one time and that was over a year ago.

Yep, me too. Mine spent six months on stands for the winter and lost 1+ pounds. Why cars are different, I don't understand. They lose about 2 pounds a month.

An ACCURATE air pressure gauge is your ticket!!!!!
Installing 90 degrees offset air valve stems also helps to check air pressure more easily!

OK, what are 90 degree offset air valve stems? Something that would keep from scraping my knuckles on discs and using two hands to hold down a hose?

OK, what are 90 degree offset air valve stems? Something that would keep from scraping my knuckles on discs and using two hands to hold down a hose?
yea!! Steve (Busa159) has them... takes 1 second to check tires and you can use quality gauge without a bunch of crap trying to see or read the thing.. I finally just use my digital memory gauge.. gave up trying to see mine..

nitrogen is not affected by "hot or cold"..pressures won't raise with heat or lower when cold.

That is exactly right!:whistle: that is why it is no good in a tire on a bike??? I personally do not want to be cornering on tire filled with something that is not responsive to tire heat.

That is exactly right!:whistle: that is why it is no good in a tire on a bike??? I personally do not want to be cornering on tire filled with something that is not responsive to tire heat.

You need to do more research.

I don't really lose any, but if you check it everyday before you ride then you will lose some just from what escapes from the gauge (this could add up over a few days).

D

New tire update! Bike sat for 9 days because of weather and other reasons.. sin I know.. but anyway, didn't lose a single lb of air! Woohoo! :beerchug:

Way to bring old threads to life... ???

I'll tell you a true story from a couple of years back. I come to the bike in the garage after not riding for a couple of days. The rear is flat. I am like "Dang, where did I manage to get the puncture!". So, I inspect the tire - nothing. There is no puncture.

So, I unscrew the valve cap, spit on my finger and put the saliva on the valve. You geussed it, it blows the buble. So, I Inscrew the valve core, and I see a very small, tiny piece of dirt stuck on it. I blew it off, cleaned carefully, put it back, pumped the tire, and it never lost air since then. I was so glad I didn't have to buy a new one. :whistle:

Way to bring old threads to life... ???

I'll tell you a true story from a couple of years back. I come to the bike in the garage after not riding for a couple of days. The rear is flat. I am like "Dang, where did I manage to get the puncture!". So, I inspect the tire - nothing. There is no puncture.

So, I unscrew the valve cap, spit on my finger and put the saliva on the valve. You geussed it, it blows the buble. So, I Inscrew the valve core, and I see a very small, tiny piece of dirt stuck on it. I blew it off, cleaned carefully, put it back, pumped the tire, and it never lost air since then. I was so glad I didn't have to buy a new one. :whistle:

I only run metal heavy duty stems now (learned from bad experiences). Also, don't run those heavy caps like the skulls if you plan on doing any speed at all...over 160 they bend the valve stems down and start breaking them (yes, that happened to me). I asked the shops if they ever replaced those stems without being asked...they do not unless they see a crack.

i only check mine when i notice wear.. if she starts to get slick in the middle, ill let some air out and ride on the outside edges :thumbsup:

WOW!!!! 195 bones think i will stick to the kicking an $1.15 gauge I am not that lazy yet:laugh:

I have a Tire Pressure monitor on my Busa and it saved me from running on the rim in Nevada last summer. At the rate I was loosing air from the rear I was able to pull over and start repairs before I even noticed a difference in the handling. It's also nice to know what the pressures are when riding spirited. I can adjust the air to suit the type of riding and I don't have to carry my tire gauge with me everywhere. It's a good option that can save some money in the long run.

CrashTestDanny has the SmartTire monitoring system and loves it. Instant tire pressure and temperature readouts. They stopped making the motorcycle version though.

That's the same one I have on my Busa. I'm looking at a different one for my FJR, only because SmarTire moved on to only making OEM TPS systems.

That's the same one I have on my Busa. I'm looking at a different one for my FJR, only because SmarTire moved on to only making OEM TPS systems.

+3 and loving it. They discontinued it though. I called them up, and they said the sales were not too good for bikes. So, I snatched another kit on ebay. Because when the battery in the sensor eventually dies, they won't sell you a new sensor.

Back