How much air do you tires lose over a 24hr period?

How much air in PSI do you lose in your rear tire over 24hrs?

• None

Votes: 109 92.4%
  • 1->2psi

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • 3-4psi

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 5-6psi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7+ psi

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
Generally, I don't lose any, but I check them weekly as for some odd reason once a month or so my tires seem to be down a pnd. ??? .. could be the altitude or the difference of scootin up and down the mountain < not sure> but as in most vehicles ..always safer to check them routinely. :whistle:

"Checking" your tire pressure should be a secondary benefit of "adjusting" your psi based on what you are going to use your motorcycle for (ie interstate, mountain roads, heavy load, track, drags, etc.). I range from 31 to 42 psi, depending on use. BTW, a really high % of air loss from new installs is connected to the valve stem in some way, don't take it all apart without checking that first. Raydog

I usually check mine about once a month, usually when washing or wiping down the bike. Occasionally I need to add a squirt but not often........I would think if you lose even 1 lb. every couple of days you have an issue with the rim or valve, as already mentioned.

The Russians are now taking motorcycle tires into space to fill them with Nitrogen, that way when they let the air out it all comes out in the vacume of space. Then fill with Nitrogen and safely return to inner space. I read that some where...and I check mine after every re-entry...and in space no one can hear you scream, or so I am told...:whistle:

The Russians are now taking motorcycle tires into space to fill them with Nitrogen, that way when they let the air out it all comes out in the vacume of space. Then fill with Nitrogen and safely return to inner space. I read that some where...and I check mine after every re-entry...and in space no one can hear you scream, or so I am told...:whistle:

:rofl: That makes much more sense. :laugh:

Use Nitrogen - that's the ticket! It's waaay better than air. You should also try drinking hydrogen dioxide...it's waaay better than water!

CW

:rofl:

wondered about that.

anyone ever done tests to show benefits on bikes that you have seen?
the nitrogen molecule is a bit more stable than the mix of molecules.. It is certainly more stable than straight air in tires (we found this in the real world racing) We did not pin down the actual reason for the most stable gas mixture however.. could just be the moisture content for all I know..

Other than that, on the street? I have never seen a real study done with empirical evidence as to the benefits.. makes you feel good? go for it.. I certainly would never spend money on the stuff..

Aircraft use is another primary thing, again stable and the lack of moisture..

sort of like the tire/oil debate.. no good answer I figure.. just lots of opinions by people doing all different things with the same machines..

usually just kick the tires if its too soft i check it add a 1-3 pounds every month putting 40 a day on the bike in commute to work.

... about 28-35 psi most every Sat. nite, late April thru late Oct.:laugh:

...then it just quits???

Yes, I'm the one

Last edited:
Use Nitrogen - that's the ticket! It's waaay better than air. You should also try drinking hydrogen dioxide...it's waaay better than water!

CW

:rofl:

:poke:You drink all of the hydrogen dioxide you want.... I'll stick with the dihydrogen monoxide.....:whistle:

WOW!!!! 195 bones think i will stick to the kicking an $1.15 gauge I am not that lazy yet:laugh:

:banghead: Your bike and your safety must not be worth $195
It's the ability to know if you have a tire going down while you are riding.
Flat tire at speed can cost much more than $195

wondered about that.

anyone ever done tests to show benefits on bikes that you have seen?

Air and Nitrogen will leak through the tire, but nitrogen is lost at a slower rate. I think there's other benefits with temp as well. I was kinda joking at $10 / tire it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Back