How many times should your wheel spin freely ?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Bike is on stand.
Chain is correct with 1/2 to 3/4 in slack.
Rear axle nut is torqued to 65lbs, not 73.5 as specified in manual.

Spin wheel with modest effort-goes around once not much more.

Front wheel
Axle nut torqued to correct spec.
pinch bolts correct.

Spin wheel with modest effort-goes around almost twice

Is this normal ?
How many times should the wheel on your bike spin freely on stands ?

Just curious

Thanks.

Bike is on stand.
Chain is correct with 1/2 to 3/4 in slack.
Rear axle nut is torqued to 65lbs, not 73.5 as specified in manual.

Spin wheel with modest effort-goes around once not much more.

Front wheel
Axle nut torqued to correct spec.
pinch bolts correct.

Spin wheel with modest effort-goes around almost twice

Is this normal ?
How many times should the wheel on your bike spin freely on stands ?

Just curious

Thanks.
Zip tie the clutch lever pulled and try again.

Dont hear anything dragging in rear.
In front I can hear the pads on the rotors but nothing like they are actually doing much more than touching them.

???

Just wondering if to spin only once or so in rear was normal is all.

If you have a chain on, the friction on the chain/sprockets/clutch/oil will slow down the rear wheel quicker.

If lubricant in the wheel bearings dried up, the wheel may spin with almost no friction, but this will be an indication of a bad thing as fully greased bearings have a little bit of friction due to the presence of grease.

I think the whole exercise is not a valid comparison.

The torque difference you indicated is insignificant because it does not affect the outcome much. Not to mention the accuracy of 73.5 ft lb is not achievable with commonly availabe torque wrenches, and on top of it such accuracy is not necessary for the rear axle nut. The ballpark of 70 would do the job.

who put a torque wrench on ever..really i tighten til my arm hurts then safety pin it....:laugh:

Use a dial caliper not the swing-arm marks to align your rear wheel. First check your alignment as it sits just using the stock marks. You will be surprised how much drag is reduced when the axle is dead center with no chain bind up.

Greg that is really interesting. I always worry ( for 40 years now ) that I haven't got the rear wheel straight when adjusting my chain. Could you explain about using the dial caliper? I don't even know what it is. Thanks!

Greg by using a dial caliper we would be assuming the ends of swingarm are same length ?
I am assuming you want me to measure the dist from end of swingarm back to adj block ?
Can we count on Suzis manufacturing to be that exact that a dial caliper will give an accurate reading not skewed a few by diff in fab work ?

Chain is on . Axle is greased as well as bearings are fine.
Understand about the drag effect.
Nothing is 'wrong' just curious.

Last edited:
Since the OEM blocks align using the rear of the block at the upper/lower OEM marks on the swing-arm, you can assume its a solid point to measure from. I align the caliper in line with the upper swing-arm marks at the rear of the axle block.

Use the pointer section of the dial caliper normally used to measure depth and measure inward. I always set the chain tension side first, then adjust the rotor side to the same measurement then recheck. I recheck several times but thats me. Keep in mind weight should be on the rear wheel when setting chain sag to be totally correct or atleast the bikes static weight. Weight assures unrestricted suspension travel and that the chain does not tighten under load. Motorcycle stuff..you got to love it.

Last edited:
ok
I tightned chain on stand .
When down it is slightly looser ?
No tight spots in rotation.

I will check it with dial caliper.
Thanks
:thumbsup:

If you still have above normal drag...check that the rear caliper is bled properly..

Good info greg never thought of using a caliper. I use a machinists ruler like you said. From back of blocks out. Ill check it the way you said and see how close they are.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good info greg never thought of using a caliper. I use a machinists ruler like you said. From back of blocks out. Ill check it the way you said and see how close they are.
Posted via Mobile Device
I use a digital caliper.. :beerchug:

Ken you are too funny.
Sorry its so cold up there all you had to do was entertain me..

You have a great Youtube voice I might say...

Maybe if you put those two long red bolts they sent along with a stack of washers your wheels would spin more....:laugh:

I wont tell you that the tank bolts and chain adjuster blocks that I got from Pro-bolt came today and are perfect either. Ooops sorry I just did...Doh..

:thumbsup:

pro bolt stuff.JPG

tank shot.JPG

Last edited:
Really though yours Ken are about like mine maybe a bit freer ?
I can hear your pads on the front rotors same as mine.
I think you are just giving it a bit more oompf for the Youtube crowd though..:laugh:

Thanks.

Now can you tell me if yours has a funny little rattle in the dash at 170 cuz I noticed one the other day in mine ? LMK

Back