How many of you guys have had shoulder surgery?

GsxrBots

Motorboatin' Moonpies, Gangnam Style
Registered
So Thursday (day after tomorrow) I go in for arthroscopic surgery on my shoulder. I've been dealing with shoulder pain for 3 years, and finally had enough of it. After MRIs they tell me I have "tendonosis" and they are going to somehow fix the tendons in my shoulder. They seem to tell me that I will be there on Thursday morning, home by 1pm and back to work on Monday! I think they are full of it. I've had 3 friends have should surgery and all three of them were out for weeks if not months. I know all surgeries are different, just worried about it. Call me dumb, but I don't know what they are doing in there. I get grossed out and don't deal with that kind of thing well, so I just told them to "fix" it. If you know what I mean. All I know is they are "fixing" my tendon/tendons and "shaving" down a bone that rubs on my rotator cuff muscle. They say if they get in there and my rotator is torn, they will fix that too requiring more recoop time, but they think that everything is going to be simple and quick. Just want to know if anyone here has had anything similar done. I was fine with it until yesterday, now I'm starting to get nervous... :banghead:

I had an acromioplasty in April 2009. My shoulder STILL hasn't recovered and the surgeon told me it could take up to 2 years for the injury to settle down.

No worries brother, they do it all the time. :thumbsup:

If ya need someone to drive the rex in the mean time:whistle:

Funny you mention that! It's my right shoulder so I have to drive the rusty trusty Ranger for a few weeks. :( Nothing like going from my awd wrx with snow tires on it to a '94 two wheel drive Ranger! And the wrong two wheels at that! Grrrrr..

Sent from my HTC EVO 4g using Tapatalk.

Thanks rainbow7 I didn't need to hear that.. :_( They are supposedly doing something like that to me too, but he again said that it was simple and they do it all the time. They are grinding some bone down that is rubbing on my rotator cuff. I wasn't worried about that part up until about 20 minutes ago...

Sent from my HTC EVO 4g using Tapatalk.

I had a shoulder replacement after a nasty crash 3 years ago. Still hurts to sleep on and this cold weather kills it. I'm sure it would be much worse if I didn't get it done though.

Had a tendon repaired in my elbow and it took months to get back to normal. I could use my arm, just not hard. No weedeater time in the summer proved to be a good thing! Had a knee done in a similar fashion...same thing. Long time to heal, you can use it; just go easy and you'll be fine. (Don't go out and eat a bunch after you wake up from the anesthesia! :eatchicken: )

Thanks rainbow7 I didn't need to hear that.. :_( They are supposedly doing something like that to me too, but he again said that it was simple and they do it all the time. They are grinding some bone down that is rubbing on my rotator cuff. I wasn't worried about that part up until about 20 minutes ago...
It's not the removal of the bone spur that is the problem. The bone spur is what caused my tendon to become inflamed and I carried the injury for four years, so even though the spur has been removed, the inflammation of the tendon is taking forever to settle down.

everyone I know who's gone in for shoulder surgery still has pains and compaints. I've got a bad shoulder but I wont get surgery until I see/hear more positive results from people. Best of luck with your surgery. I hope it goes well and your able to recover.

DO IT. I'm one of the ones who had a good result.

There are different levels of shoulder surgery, rotator cuff being about the worst. I had bursitis and tendonitis too; they went in and cleaned it out (also ground off part of my bone) and I was jumping again in six weeks. Not that bad at all. Do ALL the physical theapy. I am so glad I did it. I went with flexibility issues/pain for almost 3 years before I gave in.

When it gets bad is when something is TORN and has to be sewn back together. They are just cleaning you up from the sound of it and that is no big deal.

P.S. Talk to Jet Li if he's still lurking he's an Orthoped.

Last edited:
Had my left shoulder rebuilt and re-attach bicep tendon almost 4 years ago. 5 to 6 mos. of good rehab but I am now stronger then ever. Don't put it off.:thumbsup:

Thanks guys, you are making me feel better. The closer it gets, the more nervous I am. Never had anything like this done before. I'm getting put under, so I'm not worried about that. The Doc says they are going to give me a shot that is going to numb my whole right side. I'm a little worried about that. How the hell am I gonna get out of the car and back in the house with a dead arm AND leg? :poke:
They said it will be numb most of the day, and they release me at 1pm supposedly....

Having been in the Marines for 13 years both of my rotator cuffs are bad. I laid my bike down about four months ago and I must've landed on my right shoulder cause it's been killing me every since. I'm in the process now of making an appointment to have it checked out. I know that they're going to want to do surgery on it. I'm scared cause let's face it Military doctors aren't the best at what they do.

Corey, if you are lucky they will send you off post. However, if you are still in DC, the best the military has to offer is usually there...

I had shoulder pain for years&couldnt stand it any longer so I went & got em fixed;looking back now it was the best thing I could have done.
I've had rotator cuff surgeries in both shoulders,mine was a worse case scenario so each shoulder took 4-5hrs&I have two nice 5" long crescent shaped scars as a reminder.
Couldn't sleep for at least a month each time,and all the pain meds in the world couldn't help w the pain,since I elected NOT to get a nerve block in my spine.

I had surgery on a thurs&monday I started physical therapy;make sure you go to PT

It did take forever to heal since they ground down bones in both shoulders,was black&blue for a few weeks lol after

Good luck&a speedy recovery

Thanks again guys, you are definitely making me feel better about this, plus my shoulder is KILLING me today, which also helps in some strange way... Twelve hours from now I'll be knocked out and have some holes in me that I don't have now. Thanks for the good wishes, and the moral support.
-Steve

Thats what we here for. Heal fast and post up when you feelin up to it. Make sure you fill you meds on the way home or have someone do it for ya, you may not wanna be out and about for a day or 2

Best time of the year to do it and heal. Take your meds, don't push it (until the therapist tells you to), you are gonna be glad you got this over with in 6 weeks...

I know its kinda late.. However I have had shoulder surgery for a shattered clavicle. I currently have 6 pins 1 screw and a plate in my shoulder that makes airport security a pita.

Ok so its no the same issue you are having but the shoulder is the shoulder and well it stinks. For my issue I was out 2 days before I went back to work. I had to take it a little slow for a while but all was back to normal after a few months.

I hope yours goes well and you get back to your normal activities quickly.

Had the Bankart repair done to mine a number of years ago. Open surgery and had a great doc & PT. They were saying 12-18months if ever for full recovery. 3 months to the day I was cut open I got released with 110% strength and mobility.

They started my PT the very day of the surgery and then every day after. It was intense but havent had any major issues with it since.

The biggest advice I can give you, do what they say and how they say to do it. Do not push yourself, you can tear something again and just wasted all the pain/time/$$. Try to take as few pain meds as you can handle. Its hard to be in pain but masking it often allows you to over do it, thus creating a chance for further injury. I was on the good stuff day 1, then 600mg advils after that. Depends on your pain tolerance but feeling the pain will tell you when you have done too much.

Get well soon, its gonna be riding season before you know it :beerchug:

Back