How many miles on an aluminum Sprocket?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
Just how many miles can you get out of an aluminum sprocket on the streets with pretty hard riding?

Well, I got exactly 13,373 to be exact and I think she is pretty well toasted?

Sprocket24.JPG

Wow ... I agree that mutha is toast ... not safe anymore ... are you going with aluminum again?

You got a whole lot fewer miles than 13K outta that chain ring, you just chose to ride it in that condition, well past the point it was no longer useful.

Glad you didn't wind up with a broken bike... or worse..

Guessing that since you have listed that exact mileage as all you got you are in the process of changing it out? If not, you need to. Don't want to see you post about an accident because of a slipped chain or broken sprocket.

Just how many miles can you get out of an aluminum sprocket on the streets with pretty hard riding?

Well, I got exactly 13,373 to be exact and I think she is pretty well toasted?
Based on the way your sproket looks you really onluy got about 8,000 miles out of it. Long gone my friend.
wow.gif

Thats the way one looked on my bike after a couple of hundred miles...I hear that Vortex makes a very good alum sprockt...

i dont think i would ever run a sprocket down that far. i agree with the 8000 theory.

Alum sprockets on a Busa are not great anyway, even on a stock Busa. Steel or Ti.

Actually the aluminum sprockets are good for about 8 - 10 thousand miles. I think I changed my last one out around 9k? I just wanted to see how long one would go before it gave up. Now I know! One tooth broke and once that happened, it only took about 15 miles on the way home for it to eat off an additional 9 teeth. I was luck to get her home on her own power. I wouldn't recommend anyone trying that. I think I will go back to steel and forget about the aluminum?

Back