How many miles before change on.........

Most people seem to opt for waiting until the first change but with today's engine technology some people(Brock Davidson for one)say the sooner the better(and he's known to break in brand new stroker motors on the dyno using full synthetic oil).

https://www.brocksperformance.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=933

No, i am not talking about after break in period.....

Right now i am using Motul 300V fully synthetic 10W40 and was just wondering how many miles approximately before i have to change oil again.... Before i was using Motul semi synthetic..

3k, 4k, 5k, 6k, 7k...you decide.
I change full synthetic oil in my bikes every 3k miles, and that's because they're high revving engines, and I run them hard.
I change full synthetic in our cars every 5k or 6k miles, and they're just daily drivers.
I'm not concerned if I go over those miles some, bikes or cars.
Most engine manufacturers recommend changing conventional oil every 7500 miles, and synthetic is more durable.
So, use your own judgement. As you're going to get a lot of opinions on when to change oil, and who likes what brand best.
I suppose if you wanted to get really technical(or picky), you could say that a high rpm ram air engine operated in a very wet or very dry and dusty climate may benefit from changing oil closer to 3k miles. But even then I wouldn't be overly concerned.

No, i am not talking about after break in period.....

Right now i am using Motul 300V fully synthetic 10W40 and was just wondering how many miles approximately before i have to change oil again.... Before i was using Motul semi synthetic..

Got ya.I also use Motul 300V 10W40 and will change it around the 3,000 mile mark(but since i only average around 2,500-3,000 miles per year these days will work out to once every year:laugh:).

Thanks for the reply guys. I probably don't run my busa's engine as hard as a lot of you guys so i am going to change at 4k, or 5 k maybe even 6k...... When i was running motul semi synthetic i was changing around every 3k.... The motul fully synthetic i am using now cost $71 bucks not including the filter, not cheap stuff..

Yeah i'd say between the 3-5k range. I can tell a difference how my busa rides after a few thousand compared to when I get a fresh oil change. Also not sure of where you live geographically but if you have winters and your busa is sitting for an extended period of time it's also a good idea to change it before you start racking up miles on it :whistle:

I run the s2 & s4 for both of my bikes. its important to change to change oil under five, Because of clutch.

I called and spoke directly with Motul corporate about this last year. They said that 300V is great, but not to leave it in the bike for more than about 2,000 miles for street riding. That's because it is intended for race bikes that get oil changes very frequently, and it doesn't have the detergent package that comes in their other synthetics. I was specifically asking about the differences between 300V and 7100. He said 7100 is their premium oil for street ridden bikes, and should be perfectly fine on a 5,000 mile service interval.

I still change my 7100 at 3,000 miles, but I learned not to let 300V go that long.

That's real good info to pass along Flicka :beerchug: that's 1 of the reasons why I don't get too fancy with the motor oil. I just run Mobile 1 synthetic. Always on the shelf readily available @ any local auto parts store and for the price I can afford to change it every 3k miles :whistle:

I buy my Motul 7100 right out of my local shops barrel. Brings the price down from $17 per liter to about $12. :thumbsup:

If I bought my own barrel I could have it for $10 bucks per. I'd have to drop $600.oo all at once...

I wonder if oil has a "shelf life"...:whistle:

RSD.

i feel notchy shifting around 3-5k with AMSOIL synthetic. i need to do mine this week as a matter of fact because it's been about 6k, yikes! :oops:

Yep, I target 4000 miles. I may do it sooner if I have a long trip ahead and may not. I try to keep a running log of my riding in my head. The harder I ride, the sooner I change. I do notice the difference in shifting with fresh oil. I also follow the manual and only change my filter every other oil change. I stick with the stock Suzi filter though. Mobil 1 racing 4T since around 3000 miles and going on 30K.

The motul fully synthetic i am using now cost $71 bucks not including the filter, not cheap stuff..

$71 just for the oil!!!!!!! WalMart has Mobil 1 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil, for $9.97 per quart. That doesn't hurt so bad when you change it at 3000 miles. I use the Suzuki oil filter, about $ 15 with tax at the dealer, new crush washer too. Use a high quality torque wrench too!

Back