How Many Change Their Own Tyres?

Harbor Freight tire mounting with motorcycle attachment and a No-Mar tire bar. For balancing you can use two jack-stands and a steel rod. Use lead weights and patients. If that is the part that bugs you use Dyna Beads. Report from users are very good. I'm going to try them on my next tire change and see how well they work. Don't wait for my report though. It will be sometime next year before I'm riding again.

I do my own. I built a handy-dandy attachment for breaking the bead that uses a 20 ton shop press. Then it's just rim savers, tire spoons and dish soap. To balance, it's two jack stands, a metal rod, and some lead weights. I can have the tire changed and back on the bike before I can even get to the dealer. I save money, and have the piece of mind knowing that it was done right and there are no scratches. I would love to have one of the nice tire changers, but I can't spare the money or the floor space to have one. I suppose if I did have plenty of money, it wouldn't bother me so much to pay somebody else to do it.:laugh:

The balancing was the part I was worried about.

I always place the dot on the valve stem. Never had an issue from 0 to 1XX

I've been doing them by hand for 3 yrs., but just ordered an outfit from Harbor Frieght $127 TMD, can't wait. No one trained me on doing this and it was always a pain in the arse, but I refuse to pay $50 with me carrying the wheel to them and $100 if I carry the bike. No thanks..

Dayum, looks like I need to drop another $110 on the no-mar bar :laugh:

This thread is five days late for me :whistle:

Easy Schmeezy.... :beerchug:

NoMarTireChanger! Love it

Now I'm not only doing my own but everyone I know who has a bike!

I'm with you on this ks-waterbug. I have tried a few home made setups, and the Harbour frieght kit, guess I really just did not get the knack of it. Braking the bead was not to difficult with the other methods, it was just getting the tires off the rims that were the real PITA!
Compared to the other methods the No-mar was like night and day for me personally.
I would like to add that the Dynabeads work very well indeed! Did not think they would do much but did smoothen out my ride. Also they are not very expensive ($10-15 for a motorcycle kit i believe) and you can reuse the beads between tire changes. Plus the added bonus of no weights on your wheels which I found trap dirt etc.

Rumble.

Back