How Many Change Their Own Tyres?

critterdoc

Banned
The Beast has 4K on it now and needs new rubber on the back. I have never changes my tyres myself, but I truly love this bike and am reluctant to allow anyone else to work on it.

Is it THAT big a pain to do?

I would say "yes" depending on how much you spend on the mounting station and tools. Red Line has what appears to be a nice set up on their site I thought about getting, but money is as money is. I think with the right stuff it should be about as hard as changing the oil. What are you thinking about balancing? I have not known anyone with Dynabeads personally, but have read some good reviews.

I change my own. You'll need a tire changer obviously. I also use a static balancer before mounting. It's not that difficult, easier with an automatic changer, I have a manual changer.

I know what you mean when you say you don't want to let anyone work on it. Try to find a local motocycle tire shop where you can watch them and see if they are responsible. If they look OK, remove the wheel yourself and have them remount and balance it. Then reinstall it yourself.

Yes you'll need to either take your tires to a dealer to balance or buy a static balancer. Heres a video of motogp teams mounting a balancing using a static balancer for those that think a static balancer isn't sufficient. Feel free to embed if you know how.
- Fit for the task with Bridgestone[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the shop up the street (note.. "shop" not "stealership") change mine. I take the wheels off and take them to them, buy the tires there, and they mount and balance them for free.
And they're tire prices are the same as, or maybe $5 more than I can get them on the internet.
Ain't no way I'm wrestling with them.:laugh:

I have tires, tire irons, balancer, metal stems, weights etc. on the way. I already have an air compressor. I bought the $54 balancer from Redline, a site sponsor. The dealership wants $60 to change the tire plus the tire costs more even with shipping. And they nicked my GSX-R1000 rim last time and of course denied it.

I am not buying a changer or bead breaker.

Here are a few links. Do a search and you will find all kinds of stuff on the interwebs.

Basics: Motorcycle Tire Changing

Scudman vids for removal and installation.
- SCUDMAN How to remove a motorcycle tire[/url]
- SCUDMAN How to install a motorcycle tire[/url]

I have tires, tire irons, balancer, metal stems, weights etc. on the way. I already have an air compressor. I bought the $54 balancer from Redline, a site sponsor. The dealership wants $60 to change the tire plus the tire costs more even with shipping. And they nicked my GSX-R1000 rim last time and of course denied it.

I am not buying a changer or bead breaker.

Here are a few links. Do a search and you will find all kinds of stuff on the interw

Basics: Motorcycle Tire Changing

Scudman vids for removal and installation.
- SCUDMAN How to remove a motorcycle tire[/url]
- SCUDMAN How to install a motorcycle tire[/url]
Great information. Thanks.

you can easily use a coule 2x4's and your fence, wall, etc. as a bead breaker. couple long screw drivers, some rubber tubing for mounting and dismounting. balancing is a 2 minute job with a static balance setup.

Last time I took just the wheels to have them mounted and balanced at the dealer was 9 years ago. Haven't been back since.
Posted via Mobile Device

...oh and add a bottle of armorall to the mix for the mount process.
Posted via Mobile Device

I made my own tire change system:
¾ inch plywood, 14 inch round hole cut in the center, elevated with 2X4’s and covered in old thick carpet.
The rims (chrome in my case) are totally protected, and the discs fit right in the hole and have no pressure on them.
To break the bead I made a bar out of a 2X4 and a piece of oak (nice and hard) and I lay the wheel in my mount and pry down on it with the bar, with one end of the bar under my trucks trailer hitch. Piece of cake.

You need some curved tire irons (3 for me) some rim protectors, dish soap, small pieces of 3/4 inch plywood to assist (as in pic) and a little time.
The balancing is the easiest part.
Check this thread on how I did it.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/main...2-build-your-own-wheel-balancer-20-plans.html

Good Luck!
I now know my tires are done right EVERY time, and for FREE!

tire1.JPG

tire2.JPG

tire3.JPG

tire4.JPG

Easy Schmeezy.... :beerchug:

NoMarTireChanger! Love it

Now I'm not only doing my own but everyone I know who has a bike!

Mike....you are one of the many things that makes this site so kick ass! Thanks for the "do-it yourself" tire changer recommendation

Back