How mad would you be?

lil charlie

Registered
Middle school coach breaks player?s collarbone with hit | Yardbarker.com

All my coaches used to participate in our hitting drills. I had plenty charge me like this guy did but not until I was in High School. when I was younger they would just knock us down and around. The question is this…would you sue for this? Would you demand his job? Times have changed, when I was a kid if this happened it would be sorry, let me sign your cast and all would be forgotten.

Football is a rough sport!

My high school coach would knock your **** in your watch pocket in a heartbeat. We thought nothing of it. Practicing in the cinder block showers was much worse. Full pads or not if you hit a block wall it hurts!!

I wouldn't sue or expect him to get fired. It is a full contact sport and injuries are expected. Maybe not by the coach but it happens.

:laugh:

IllJudgeYourCase.jpg

Very poor choice of instruction by the coach IMO. I've coached a couple youth football teams myself and injecting yourself as a grown man into a live demonstration or drill does little or nothing besides stroke the adult's ego. There's usually a more talented or experienced kid on the team that can be used for examples rather than a coach get involved. I see nothing wrong with letting the kids hit each other LIVE all day long, and as a coaching staff, they should be able to teach and critique from that. I've also seen where coaches will stand behind the players and hold them by the shoulder pads and slam or force them into contact during a drill or going live, which I think is wrong as well. IMO, one of the beautiful aspects of contact sports is its ability to weed out the weak by nature. If that were my kid, I'd be on my way up to the school with my helmet and pads to let him see if he could get past me...then my son & I would be discussing his desire to continue playing football. If everyone could play it, it'd be called basketball or baseball. :laugh::rofl:

if only that kid would have been smart enough to drop and take the legs this story would have been totaly different. I played football and hockey in high school and never had a coach take part in a live hiting drill. I coached hockey fom the time my son was 7 until high school and never took part in a hitting drill because as a coach my job is to teach and if I'm a part of the drill I can't see what they are doing wrong or right. stories like this tick me off I see to many coaches tell their kidds to man up when the coach needs to man up and teach these boys how. believe me I think we are raising a bunch of P*****. but they have to be tought the right way to take a hit and give one. I don't think anyone here was tought to tackle with your shoulder like that kid did. 100% coaches fault.

Have you seen how big some of these kids are now? Still, probably not a good idea, but those parents probably signed a waiver to let their kid play. As long as it wasn't deliberate, live and let live.

Watch the video again. There were several kids that are bigger than the coach. Good thing those kids didn't hit him cause they may have really hurt him.

Sounds to me like the coach did him a favor. Heaven forbid, in a couple years, he had to face a couple all state players that would intentionally try to hurt him!!!

I don't think anyone here was tought to tackle with your shoulder like that kid did. 100% coaches fault.

I disagree. I have seen so many kids, when I played and later with my son, that would do that simply because they were scared to hit or get hit. They would shy away from the hit. That is what I saw in the video.
It was the coaches fault that he was on the field at all. Probably only out there because daddy wanted him to play.

It was so much fun in spring training and summer camp to see how many of these kids we could make quit.

Our coaches would suit up in full pads and give us hell. I don't think that size is a matter here, like Bret said...some of the other kids there are bigger than the coach. I think he was being a weenie because he should have known not to just put his shoulder down, he should have faced him head on, lowered his center of gravity and wrapped him up for the tackle. :)

I'm not gonna watch it again, but it looked like the kid put his right hand down and got up. I've had a broken clavical. I don't know how he did that. Must of been a hair line fracture :dunno: I think law suits are out of control in this country, but that's me. I had plenty of things happen coming through, but that was back when. If I was the coach I would rethink my coaching technique. You just can't do it now-a-days. Xbox does not prepare us for actual physical contact.

Watch the video again. There were several kids that are bigger than the coach. Good thing those kids didn't hit him cause they may have really hurt him.

Sounds to me like the coach did him a favor. Heaven forbid, in a couple years, he had to face a couple all state players that would intentionally try to hurt him!!!

While I do agree that the younger generation is being overly doted on, I really hope that you don't think size is the only thing that matters on a football field...especially when age and maturity play a factor. I don't quite know what the exact verbiage is for it, but I do believe there's merit in a grown man's strength in relationship to a teenager, regardless of size.

I wasn't very aggressive at all in middle school and hardly even played, however I did end up being a unanimous 1st Team All-State selection in high school myself. Maybe I'm wrong, but middle school seems a little early to be judging haves and havenots. From my own personal observations, it usually seems the ones that are physical dominant or extremely aggressive early on never materialize. They either stop growing or lose interest.

While I do agree that the younger generation is being overly doted on, I really hope that you don't think size is the only thing that matters on a football field...especially when age and maturity play a factor.

Absolutely not!! Attitude has just as much to do with it as size as does along with natural ability or lack there of and also desire. I was never the biggest or strongest guy on my team but I just flat didn't care on the field! It was all out or nothing. If I got hurt Oh well! Believe me that I was planted by guys bigger and smaller than me!! Messed up both hips my junior year trying to get the strength to go with the attitude. Football career over!

With my coach it was all about motivation. If we couldn't find it he would show us. I do not think this coach was trying to hurt this kid. He was probably trying to make a point and I bet they got it!! He was doing his job! If a kid doesn't want to get hit or hit someone else.....join the golf team!!

Our coach in middle didn't do it like that. Players squared off against other players when he needed to get in there to point or show us what or how to do a move he would mock show us what to do on another player. Or would go against an imaginery figure as we looked on.

Back