how long should a gen2 battery last?

hemi1300

Registered
Haven't ridden the busa in a few weeks, maybe closer to a month. Had the day off today so I went to go out for a quick ride and the battery was dead as snot. Checked the voltage and it was reading 6.5 volts!!! Not sure what the lowest voltage these batteries can handle, but I think it might be beyond recovery. Bike is an 08, brand new battery and rectifier was installed through dealer (I believe in 09) through warranty, because the bike was dying after a short ride and the rectifier was bad. Have a power commander hooked up and my gps charger, but the gps wasn't being charged while it was sitting. Have had it on the battery tender for about 4 hours now and it's back up to about 12v, still can't get it to turn over though. Gonna leave it plugged in until fully charged and hopefully she'll start, if not i guess i'll be heading to the dealer for a new battery. Battery should only be about 3 years old, I would think it would hold a charged longer than a month? Bike has about 16k miles

Half the voltage does not sound good at all. Hope it recovers but I have my doubts. I do not know the minimum voltage a battery such as that should see but once it gets down to a certain level it will not usually charge back to full capacity.

Good luck, I hope it does

have my doubts also lol. Something doesn't seem right with the tender, normally it will blink 80% charge rate by now, but is still on the solid charge light. Reading 12v now, so it should be blinking 80% charged, think the peak voltage is about 13.5v, if I remember correctly. Really hopin my rectifier isn't about shot again

Replace it. Even if it recovers you won't trust it. I keep mine plugged in whenever I am not riding it. My 09 is on the original battery.

I normally keep mine plugged in to when I'm not gonna be riding for extended periods of time. Haven't had much time in the last month to ride, and didn't even think to put the tender on it. Just tried to start it with the battery reading 12 volts, cranked over a few times slowly and then flat dead. I would think it would start with the battery reading 12 volts. Will stop by the dealer tomorrow and pick up a new battery

My alarm drained my battery, had to get a new one.
Keep it on a battery tender all the time now.

12 resting volts is way too low still - and you should use an actual charger not a tender for a completely dead battery. Take it down to autozone and have them test it, it's free. Battery might have a short and you'll just be wasting your time trying to charge it.

A battery can also have voltage but lack amperage. I had several batteries do that on my 05.

over 20K miles on my 09 and she fires up instantly when the start button pushed..

Keep it on a float charger when I park it over night.

No maintanence= battery buying time and labor, or just plug in a 12.00 harborfreight float charger when ya park it at night for the next 5 years.

Jump it off and go ride. When you come back plug it up. A month is too long and you might have some drains, but a month is too long and 12 volts is not enough for the Busa. It should recover.

Grip it and Rip it brother.

over 20K miles on my 09 and she fires up instantly when the start button pushed..

Keep it on a float charger when I park it over night.

No maintanence= battery buying time and labor, or just plug in a 12.00 harborfreight float charger when ya park it at night for the next 5 years.

Same on my '08 30K miles. I have a Battery Tender Jr. somewhere, but have never had a charger on this battery. Daily rider :laugh:

A battery can also have voltage but lack amperage. I had several batteries do that on my 05.

This happened to mine, even though it was showing 12 volts, it gave me trouble starting. Jumped it and got it home charged it and tested reading 12 volts but I can feel that the starter is not spinning as quickly as it should so I replaced it. Picked up a new battery today my battery was a little over 2 years old which I don't think was long enough switched back to Yuasa

Had it charging all day and still couldn't get the damn thing runnin. Ended up jumping it with a little battery jump starter and she fired up instantly, after a short ride around the block and killed the engine, still struggled and barely fired back up. Definitely picking up a new battery today and will have to remember to keep the tender on it next time. Tender was on all night and says fully charged, battery only at 12.99 volts though, think the battery is definitely done lol

Haven't ridden the busa in a few weeks, maybe closer to a month. Had the day off today so I went to go out for a quick ride and the battery was dead as snot. Checked the voltage and it was reading 6.5 volts!!! Not sure what the lowest voltage these batteries can handle, but I think it might be beyond recovery. Bike is an 08, brand new battery and rectifier was installed through dealer (I believe in 09) through warranty, because the bike was dying after a short ride and the rectifier was bad. Have a power commander hooked up and my gps charger, but the gps wasn't being charged while it was sitting. Have had it on the battery tender for about 4 hours now and it's back up to about 12v, still can't get it to turn over though. Gonna leave it plugged in until fully charged and hopefully she'll start, if not i guess i'll be heading to the dealer for a new battery. Battery should only be about 3 years old, I would think it would hold a charged longer than a month? Bike has about 16k miles
The original batteries in my 04LE busa and 06 turbo 14 are still going strong thanks to battery tenders, I keep the bikes plugged all the time I'm not riding them. I just bought a new battery for the xr650 dual sport I recently bought, and it'll live on a tender when not being ridden as well. My gixxer 1100 has a new battery I haven't activated yet, but it'll get the same treatment :thumbsup: So far 8 years on my original busa battery and as strong as day one.......I'm curious to see how long its going to go, same with the other batteries. I think I have another year or 2 easy the way its going :laugh:

Back