How Long do you leave WAX on???

PJ267

Registered
Dumb question but how long do you guys leave wax on? I know it says when it turns grey, but I have left it on for 30 mintues and a few hours, Do wait until it is completely dry? It like powder when it comes off? Does it need to turn completely dry to work better? thanks

not a dumb question! i would not leave wax on that long because you will struggle taking it off after a while or you may possibly defeat the whole purpose and wipe it off entirely from too much force (liquid wax products). the rule of thumb is when it hazes to a white or gray, and it feels relatively dry to touch, remove it immediately. :thumbsup:

I leave it on until it has a hazy grey look and is relatively dry to the touch. Check the instructions on the back of the bottle/can if you're still not sure.

if the surface is clean and polished, leaving it on for longer periods should not make it harder to wipe off... (although I remove as soon as it appears dry myself)

It does make a difference some times as to the product you are using.. Most use "Polymer" sealants and some still use "wax" Read the container and follow their directions.. they usually know what works best for the product..

I owned a couple detail shops in Mesa AZ and found that even in AZ, a "good" carnauba wax worked as well as most of the polymers for shine and life.. The carnauba waxes are just a bit tougher to apply (machine works best IME)..

The polymer sealants tend to wipe on , wipe off.. The "high solvent" cleaner waxes are really nice but only last 1 or 2 wash jobs (used mostly for new car prep)..

a couple basic DO NOTS:

Do not wax a dirty surface (seals in crud)
Do not wax a "hot" surface (can discolor or blemish)
Do not wax in the sun (same as above)

I would suggest washing your paint at least twice before using the first application of any sealant... amazing how much dirt is actually on the paint in most cases after the first wash..

Hey Rev, do you use wax at all? I have come across a number of guys that do custom paint that swore off any kind of waxes over keeping the paint clean and polished... your take?

Hey Rev, do you use wax at all? I have come across a number of guys that do custom paint that swore off any kind of waxes over keeping the paint clean and polished... your take?

I had a paint guy tell me to wash the bike with windex or something and then if I feel the need, use a polish.

I thought that was weird, but I guess he was shooting me straight!

How Long do you leave WAX on???
I guess that depends on what product you are using. If I am using Klasse AIO, which is the only thing I use as a base now, I put it on and it can be wiped off almost immediately. I usually remove it when I get back around to where I started.

I just finished putting on a second coat of Poorboys EX and they recommend letting it set up for 30 minutes to an hour. I usually wait the full hour.

If I am just doing a regular OTS car wax then I let it haze and remove it but I haven't used anything like that for a long long time.

I usually do what the manufacturer says.

my suggestion read the bottle I prefer a clay bar once in a while after a good wash and then a decent polymer sealant. then maintain with a good detail spray for the time between the clay bar just for upkeep.

Back