how i put my bike on stands by myself

jwest

Registered
i know this has been asked many times on how to put your bike on stands by yourself,well today i took and got the bike ready to have my new perelli angels installed,this is how i do it..im only 135 lbs and 50 yrs old (almost..lol) and putting my bike on stands by myself is unnerving...so heres how i do it so i dont have to worry about the bike crashing to the floor

first i mounted 4 porch swing hooks in my garage ceiling picture will show spacing..put bike center below the hooks with 4 tiedown straps hanging with adjusters at the bottom,sit on bike and stand it up,add the fabric loop that holds the hook to each hand grip and snug up and do with 2nd loop each side,DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN,just enough to hold the bike up and not fall over
SANY0001re.jpg

SANY0002re.jpg

now put rear stand under and slowly lift bike until stand is supporting bike...ALWAYS DO BACK FIRST
SANY0003re.jpg

now when doing the front be very careful to be easy and depending on what lift you have watch as you lift...once fully supported cinch up your tie down straps just so they are snug..NOT SUPPORTING BIKE...these are only for tipover safety
SANY0005re.jpg

once youve removed the front and rear tires you are left with it like this....hope this helps someone with worring about tip over when adding front and rear stands by themselves
SANY0006re.jpg

I know it seems hard but after you do it a few times you will feel better about it. I use the grab bar and lock one side of my stand on the spool. Then I stand the bike to have both spools touching and then push down on the stand to raise it off the ground. With the back on the stands then I put the front stand in the holes and lift it up. If you dont have the grab bar on take the back seat off so you can grab somewhere in there. Hope this helps.

Man, I admire you cautious approach but I just slide the rear stand under her and lift. Then I take the front and lift. Never had an issue.

I stick a 2x4 under the side stand to get it a little closer to level and then just line the spools up, ease it over on the right side, and push down.

I always keep the sidestand down for back up, just in case. Grab bar is good and don't forget on the Gen I there's an opening in the tail, clutch side that lets you grab the subframe.

You guys are working waaay too hard...i'm gonna have to make a video...

JGGUNS said:
I stick a 2x4 under the side stand to get it a little closer to level and then just line the spools up, ease it over on the right side, and push down.

+1 :thumbsup:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Try this....

crack open a beer,
remove hump,
install grab bar,
left hand on grab bar,
Right hand on rear stand
jack her up,
crack open another beer,
jack up front,
crack open another beer,

start working on bike.

I contemplated this same process when I first got my rear stand. I think it is a great idea to have the straps on when you are doing maint. as a safety feature. I never got around to it.

Here is my current process:
Stage the rear stand at the back of the bike.
I stand to the right rear and pull the bike off the side stand and use my right thigh to steady it as I get the rear stand positioned.
Having the bike against your thigh steadies it and you know you can put is back on the side stand if needed.
Raise the bike on the stand.

Cake!

I will still set up straps in the future for when I have both wheels off. Thanks for sharing!!! :thumbsup:

Back