How I came to own two Hayabusas, The Superbyke

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
When moving my recent post, "The Superbyke project, finally finished", we accidently erased it so this post will chronicle the purchase, planning and final product of my Superbyke project....now a reality and on the road. Because so many folks have shown an interest in this type of project, the Cap suggested I put it all together in this post (at least an overview, I could write a book!). First, let me thank a few folks that were a big help...the Cap, for his oversite and culture he has facilated on our beloved ORG, I learned 5 years of Busa complexities in 6 months because of the experts on here. Daniel (Golden Boy) he knows so much about Busas and motorcycles in general, and really fun to talk to. Brian of Superbike Performance Lab, not an org sponsor but my expert "homeboy" here in Reno, and finally org members that have PM'd me, and offered input along the way. Thanks all.
I'll try not to just repeat a lot of what I've already posted but I must say again some important stuff. First, and briefly....most sportbikes without fairing cover simply don't fulfill the profile of a handsome naked motorcycle. Fortunately, for us, the Gen I Hayabusa has the right "bones" for the transformation once the electrical, plumbing and control lines have been tended to (routes changed, lengths shortened, visible/necessary stuff beautified). For me, it just couldn't happen in a couple of weeks, it has taken me over two years to get it right, that is, a look that was so definative that an observer would NOT think, "oh, there's another sportbike that's missing it's plastics". To do that, everything must be purposeful, distinctive and integrated, as though everything is working together and all visible parts are proud of what they look like!
Regarding its performance, total no brainer for those of us that have done so much experimenting and aftermarket work on our "regular" Busas. My HAYBUS Busa is already set up with suspension, tuning, brakes, wheels, types of tires, etc. in other words, I've already been there, done that so I could focus on ergonomics and looks, knowing that this thing would be at least equal, probably superior to the HAYBUS (which is a pretty rapid scooter already, imagine knocking another 30-40 pounds off!).

So far, it's actually more bike than I expected and I expected a lot. I don't yet know how fast it is but it's very fast, stops on a dime with amazing control, and in public, seems to garner quite a bit of attention, including from the Harley crowd.
Some big benefits of having taken my time on this project are....it spread out the costs and it gave me a lot of planning and thinking time. Also, having another functional bike prevented the potential frustration of not having a ridable motorcycle for a prolonged period.

As I learn more about this motorcycle (exact weight, performance, etc.) I'll of course, share it here. Below is a pictorial, some reposts, some new. I look forward to reading about other ORG members' builds, like Pan in Australia, for example. Cheers! Doyle

The first day I took her off the trailer, "totalled".
P1020968.JPG
P1020969.JPG
P1020979.JPG
P1030093.JPG
P1020987.JPG

Tearing it down, taking all things off that wern't black or silver (including forks).
P1030937.jpg
P1020995.JPG

Experimenting with how to carry the headlights and guage panel.
P1030447.JPG
IMG_2393.jpg

Induction, sound and looks.
IMG_2408.jpg

The bike itself.
IMG_2409.jpg
IMG_2410.jpg
IMG_2411.jpg
IMG_2413.jpg

Last night I built a license plate mount...kept it black and silver! Black chrome frame and 3" piece of aluminum channel, bolts onto the unused left side muffler mount.
IMG_0029.jpg
IMG_0028.jpg
IMG_0026.jpg
IMG_0027.jpg
IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg
IMG_2395.jpg
IMG_2392.jpg
IMG_2397.jpg
IMG_2406.jpg
IMG_2388.jpg
IMG_2391.jpg
IMG_2396.jpg
IMG_2407.jpg
IMG_2405.jpg

P1020968.JPG

P1020969.JPG

P1020979.JPG

P1030093.JPG

P1020987.JPG

P1030937.jpg

P1020995.JPG

P1030447.JPG

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That thing suck a lot of hot air without the ramair on there??

No, not really, the frame ports still funnel frontal air into the photographed intake chamber...and there is a firewall below the injectors and above the engine....and an unfaired Busa engine receives volumes of additional external airflow when underway. The ducting, I'm told, is more for a force fed effect of external air when underway, thereby increasing atmospheric psi in the OEM intake chamber for a couple of addl HP at higher speeds. If I'm inaccurate here someone jump in! Just going by what the racers and tuners tell me. Doyle

Heya buddy just wanted to tell ya i think you did an absolutely spectacular job on the bike. Looks sharp and i bet it runs hard.

Been having fun with her ?

Yeah, mostly riding around the neighborhood and listening to the thing. Tomorrow, I'll get it out on the highway and get more of an overall feel for it in higher gears. I figure I'll take my time getting introduced to it since I took so long to get it completed! Doyle

Regrets in life..................Selling my 08 Busa. :banghead:

Good Job Mr. Doyle..............We need to ride soon :thumbsup:

Robert

Doyle - Looking through your pics and notice the wiring harness (or control lines?) going into the right fresh air port through the frame. Is this stock routing? I've never had my nose fairing off and don't have my manual handy..... Thx, AJ

Doyle - Looking through your pics and notice the wiring harness (or control lines?) going into the right fresh air port through the frame. Is this stock routing? I've never had my nose fairing off and don't have my manual handy..... Thx, AJ

Only YOU would notice that! Very keen observation, my friend. A coupla things about that, as usual, on a project like this, control cable/wire routing is a VERY critical subject and I think most folks just want to get it over with to get to "bigger" issues(the fact is...this is a BIG issue). I'm not sure I've even read about it on the org before. Anyways, four things.....1) the straighter the run from control to destination, the smoother the operation. 2)the frame intake tunnels "offered" themselves when deciding about routing choices and provide great routing opportunities. 3) even with cable/wire routes through the tunnels, since there are no more interior snorkels leading to an airbox, abundant airflow AND cable routes can coexist. 4)finally, I've always said, I believe beauty is the byproduct of high performance planning and design, not the chrome shop nor the Chinese spike factory so if someone says they don't like an idea of mine, I reply, "function trumps cosmetics" in the end for me. That's my answer! Doyle

OK, just gotta do a quick update, visited a friend out in the country yesterday and when I left onto the highway he said, "do a little burst of acceleration!" I rolled out in 1st, twisted it up and....all through 1st and 2nd the front end came up to about 1 foot and it was SO controllable! I am not a stuntah but I now realize the connection between a bike's weight and a controllable wheelie! Doyle

As me my wife likes it too....she says it looks like a giant black ant ready to bite...
Nice job Doyle...cant wait to see it in person.

Back