How hot is too hot for the voltage rectifier / regulator ?

twvette

Registered
In my custom application I am seeing 220F with an IR temp gun. I am running two HID light balasts, a very big Spal radiator fan, and a few extra dash gauges with displays. It was also over 100 degrees outside and mine is tucked away in rear with little to no air flow but I dont think it is much better on the stock street bike, correct?

What is too hot in genral? Waht temp does it shutdown to protect itself from frying? Or, could someone shoot theirs with an IR gun after a normal ride for some sort of baseline preferrable after a night ride with lights on. Thanks!

Are you having charging issues ? Are you running a Gen I or II set up ?

Gen I was mounted inside the tail, Gen II is in the belly pan.

No obvious charging problems but I have had past experience where these shutoff due to temp when adding lights etc so appears ok 90% of time. It also kust did not charge as good as it could as it got hot. Never quantified what was too hot pr even normal ao curious now. Mine is '07 setup.

Could not dig up the specific answers I was asking above from anywhere/anyone but I can tell you moved it up front which is also in front of my radiator so it gets some additional flow when fan comes on and did same test as above and went from 220 to 160F ... I'll take that and call it good.

Back