how free is front tire supposed to be?

Towboater68

Registered
Hey all,

I just got threw washing the busa getting ready for a ride this evening with about 12 other bikes. I put the bike up on the stands to clean the rims real good but when i was turning my front tire it doesn't roll real easy. i don't hear the brakes dragging but i did put new pads on about two months ago. This was my first time removing front wheel on a sport bike so i'm wondering if maybe i tightened the axle too much or what you guys might think it could be. Please advise!!

What did you torque the axle to?

Remove the calipers, and see how the wheel spins.

When I put new pads on, for a while mine won't hardly spin at all...

Well, If you don't use a torque wrench you'll never know if you tightened it properly. Just guessing... I'd say it's overtight

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

72.5 lb-ft

If you have aftermarket wheels, they may call for a different value.

Use this. Be sure you check all the other related fasteners too. The last thing you need is something like caliper mounting bolts failing on you.

Gen I Torque Values.jpg

Before tightening the front axle pinch bolts, you should take the bike off the stand and compress the front suspension a few times. That will get it all settled in. Then apply torque evenly across all four of the pinch bolts. Don't just torque the bolts down one at a time.

There is a very specific procedure in the service manual for torqueing the front axle. Be sure to follow it exactly! I am assuming you are talking about a Gen 2 but a Gen 1 should be similar.

On the Gen 2 you install the wheel and tighten the axle temporarily with both sets of pinch bolts loose.

Install the brake calipers, torque and pump the brakes till they seat. Some people apply the front brakes firmly, then tighten the caliper bolts to ensure they are centered over the rotor.

Torque the axle bolt using a wrench and a special tool to hold the axle.

Tighten and torque the right side pinch bolts.

Pump the front end a couple of times.

Tighten and torque the left side pinch bolts.

This method makes sure the forks are not pinched inward while torquing the axle and gives the proper amount of free play in the hub stack.

yes i did push the calipers in.... thanks for the other info too..... went for ride with some friends and broke my speed record.... hit 175mph

Back