How fast on an uncorrected speedo?

Blacksmith

Registered
Ok so I had a chance to stretch her out today for a little ways and bottomed out the speedo but I don't have a speedo healer so how fast was i going? She's been uncorked so the limiter is gone but I hit the 187? mark for a second or two before backing out for traffic so you guys that have done it on a corrected bike, how fast was I?

Btw oh my GOD what a rush!!! I've hit 160 before and wouldn't think just another 25 mph would that much different!

What size sprockets are you running?
I'm 1-tooth down in front, stock in back and the speedo reports 10 mph higher than my cam's GPS

At those speeds the speedo is a guess at best. Even with a speedo healer it is not reliable going that fast.

What was your rpm?
I honestly don't know i was only there a couple seconds before I had to back off and a quick look at the speedo was all I could make myself look away from the road for. But dude it was awesome!! I HAVE to get to a top speed track!

At those speeds the speedo is a guess at best. Even with a speedo healer it is not reliable going that fast.
I held my ZX-14 with Speedohealer steady at 90 mph and it was dead on with GPS speed. If it's accurate at 90, I thought it should be pretty close above that.

I held my ZX-14 with Speedohealer steady at 90 mph and it was dead on with GPS speed. If it's accurate at 90, I thought it should be pretty close above that.
A lot of things happen at 189 mph! Wheel is slightly bigger, more slippage, etc. But let's face it, at those speeds does it really matter how accurate it is? If you are doing LSR or something, get a quality GPS based speedometer.

Thanks for the replies boys I was just curious how far off it was. I know it was a rush that's gonna be hard to avoid now. Hey where are these top end tracks anyway? They said the one the previous owner used in FL was shut down

Wondering how correct my Gen 1 is, @ 95 indicated the revs are @ 5,000. Stock gearing etc.

Gearing commander says everything stock 5000 rpm is 92.9mph, I've never heard of a stock bike reading less than actual speed.

As far as op I think I've read on here about 7-13٪ correction factor needed so 163-173mph

Gearing commander says everything stock 5000 rpm is 92.9mph, I've never heard of a stock bike reading less than actual speed.

Great! I can live with 2.1 mph slower than indicated. Pretty accurate really. I was always amazed at the speedos on both CBXs I had as they were spot on according to those hiway dept YOUR SPEED IS speed trailers we see and they were 40 years old.

As far as op I think I've read on here about 7-13٪ correction factor needed so 163-173mph
Correction factor of 10% for stock gearing? That doesn't sound right.

Correction factor of 10% for stock gearing? That doesn't sound right.
It can be all over. Below thread has one user saying 7.3% and another almost 10% off.

Error is not linear. More mph is more % error. I’ve seen this on a dyno with no tire slip. Dyno mph and rpm correlated directly, speedo got worse as mph increased.
Is there a relationship to that error? Does the speedo consistently UNDER-report actual speed, or is the error nonlinear in the sense that it can both under and over report actual speeds?

Back