How fast is TOO FAST for the street?

I done a few group rides and they haven't been too bad on the speed limit. Most of the time i ride with my brother and some of his off duty LEOs. Riding with them on the interstate i don't concern myself about how fast we're rollin. I have done some rides with groups to where i decide to just hang in the back just because i don't know everyone in the groups riding style doing enough to keep up. When i'm alone or cruising with the wifey 1 up i/we cruise about 75-85 depending on the traffic. on the city streets i do the posted limit just because there are too many idiot cagers out there that don't see us coming down the streets.

This is a nice cruising speed for me on an open road. Now, crossing Nevada or Utah, 140 or so can be a nice cruising speed. Not too much of a tuck needed this side of 150 and you can sure cover some boring ground in a hurry.:thumbsup: Notice the lack of any traffic? Very important...:rulez:

DSCN0437 (Medium).JPG

DSCN0443 (Medium).JPG

DSCN0353 (Medium).JPG

between 130-140km/hr is the best speed for me, again no tuck needed, music is clear in my helmet, and not too expensive if caught on radar. speed limit is 120km/hr on a highway here. I believe anything more than 140 is excessively above... But then again... you're bound to find that empty road which makes you break every frickn' rule/law there is! :thumbsup:

I usually lead most of our group rides & I hit the corners fast, but slow way down on the straights - usually 70-80 mph in a 65 zone. This allows the slower riders the chance to catch up w/ out any pressure to try to keep up w/ the more experienced riders. We always keep the rider behind you in view & if you don't see tham slow down until you do. The LEO's are more apt to frown on excessive speed on the straights & have let us off multiple times when we have been pulled over, as we all pull over as a group & are very respectful. It helps that we have 4 Police Officers in our riding group too.
If you want to open her up, go to the track.

These are the rules for our Austin group.

Our Rules:

NO wheelies, stoppies, tricks, stunting, reckless riding, passing in corners, excessive speed, etc … EVER.

Bikes must be LEGAL: Current Tags | License | VIN | Insurance

Minimum Gear Required : Full face helmet, full fingered gloves, boots (they have to be a boot of some type or better), motorcycle riding pants (preferred) or regular thick blue jeans and a motorcycle riding jacket with sleeves.
• You will not be allowed on a group ride with tennis shoes.
• You will not be allowed on a group ride with a sleeveless vest.
• You will not be allowed on a group ride without the minimum gear listed above.

If you fail to meet ANY one of the items listed above, you will not be allowed to start the ride (or continue it) with us. We are a safety minded / gear oriented board. We all know that if we let these things slide, over time they just get worse.

When it comes to vouching for new members, make sure that you understand their riding style BEFORE you jump in with your name to get them on the board. Remember, you are “vouchingâ€￾ for this person – with that comes responsibility. Only established members are able to vouch.

I personally try to stay within 10 miles above the speed limit. In Virginia it could cost you jail time if you are caught 20 miles over the speed limit. It really isn't worth it to me to go over the speed limit. Besides...I ride like a Hayabusa grandma anyway.

I always ride at the Legal speed limit in towns (too many speed camera's in the UK) but out on the new ring road near my home there are no camera's :thumbsup: passed my brother in law on his Gixer 11 (he said he was flat out) so I may have been doing over 90 me'Lud :laugh:

These are the rules for our Austin group <snipped>

I like.

Since I typically ride alone I stay close to the speed limit unless I start holding up someone behind me.

I have little patience with someone riding my tail...

Something many riders do not consider and it is very important.

While at Deals Gap last year a few org members witnesses a trike crash on US 129.
There was no cell phone coverage in this area, emergency services were/are limited.
The rider was seriously injured, pinned under the trike, org members responded and tipped the trike off him. NC Motorcycle Troopers were on the scene within minutes.
Org members sent for help (no cell coverage)
I don't recall the exact time it took to airlift the rider to a hospital, it had to have been 1-2 hours from the time of the crash until he was in an emergency room.
He survived thank God.
When a very serious injury occurs which requires a trauma center and it is not readily available, people die.
Serious injury includes head trauma, internal injuries (bleeding) and broken bones.
These types are injuries are life threatening and survival depends on the time it takes to receive trauma care.
It is important to let people know where you are going and how long you will be gone, in case a search is warranted. (solo riding) Do some research and have a good idea where hospitals are located and cell phone coverage is limited or not available.
Many years ago while at the lake, I almost bought the farm when I was hit by a jet ski.
9 broken ribs, punctured lung, blood from the injured lung filled the good lung.
I knew where the nearest emergency room was and gave directions to my wife.
I told her to put on the emergency flashers and drive as fast and safely as possible.
Several days after I was out of ICU, the ER doctor that saved my life came to see me.
He said if we had waited for an ambulance, we would not be having this conversation. He also did not think I was going to survive that day. Urged me to buy a swimming pool. I gave up jet ski's that day.

I don't by no means advocate living a life afraid to go outdoors and being afraid to take risks. Just be smart and prepared when things go bad.
Sorry if I bored anyone with my story. Not something I talk about. Bad memory, I try to forget. I would never wish it on anyone.
Others have similar experiences, I am just happy to be here :cheerleader:

Last edited:
My system for speeding is ride alone, go on week day mornings, go out in the rural areas, pick a road with good pavement, ride back and forth a few times, memorize every square foot of it. Then let it eat a little, typically up to about 100. My charge comes from the acelleration more than top speed. Have a dirt bike for being a hooligan on. That way no problems with law or road traffic.

I don't recall the exact time it took to airlift the rider to a hospital, it had to have been 1-2 hours from the time of the crash until he was in an emergency room.
Dust off from the accident was 1 hour 15 minutes.. that guy is lucky you guys were right behind him... he should have died..(and likely would have)

was an awful scene..

Usually, +10 on interstate in traffic (would rather watch what's in front of me than worry about what's behind me). Little faster in no traffic but not so much to beat me to death.

Nothing to prove going fast in a straight line; so like to speed up for the turn, then slow back down in the straights. Let's other riders in a group catch up.

Frankly, I probably need to slow down.

Thats my point here. We all like to go fast. Otherwise we wouldnt own sportbikes. However the risk of not just getting hurt but getting arrested, losing your license for a while, severe fines, criminal record are a very real possibility too.

So how much of a risk is worth taking? There are more than a few places here where i could easily get on the top end of the bike but im sure if i get caught the outcome wont be very pretty lol.

if your ridding on the top end of the bike you wont get caught...the heli's only fly 180 knots...lol I still don't recommend nor condone it, also wont say I'm not in front of you either..lol

Last edited:
Back