How Fast is Fast?

Shmoo

Registered
Take for example, a 300 hp turbo Busa. In comparison, how much faster would this turbo bike pull on a stock Busa? Is it a huge & noticable difference in how the bike beats a stock one? i.e., like a Busa racing 600 or something? Just wondering if putting $4,000 or so is really worth it, if the bike would just have mega hp, but only pull on a stock one a little bit.
If I get beat by this new R1 crap coming out, I'd want to beef up my engine to not allow this to happen ever again. But, I don't want to blow my wallet if it only makes a slim difference. I know the wheelies would be great with turbo, but just how much more aggressive is the turbo bike?

from what I"ve heard is riding a turbo bike is uncomparable....its a rush all in its own....I"M getting a turbo next year when I have to cash.....

I hope its worth every penny.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm,  Let me see sort of like a Busa vs 500cc

Stock is 151hp
120lbs torque
9.4 best in the 1/4 with a good rider
top speed 184mph in 1 mile

300 +hp Turbo
8.8 with a good rider
198lbs torque
top speed 210mph in 9/10 of a mile

Best way to put it YOU NEED TO REALLY HANG ON

gcs_rocket.gif

Take for example, a 300 hp turbo Busa.  In comparison, how much faster would this turbo bike pull on a stock Busa?  Is it a huge & noticable difference in how the bike beats a stock one?  i.e., like a Busa racing 600 or something?  Just wondering if putting $4,000 or so is really worth it, if the bike would just have mega hp, but only pull on a stock one a little bit.  
If I get beat by this new R1 crap coming out, I'd want to beef up my engine to not allow this to happen ever again.  But, I don't want to blow my wallet if it only makes a slim difference.  I know the wheelies would be great with turbo, but just how much more aggressive is the turbo bike?
When my turbo was running sweet, I would compare say my Turbo Busa (at around 250 hp) compared to my 2001 Busa (around 170 hp). Was like comparing a Busa to a GSXR600 in the straights. It was INSANE under full-boost. NUTZ I tell you. Now, it should have more HP and I can not wait...grrrr...grrrr....grrrr

Take for example, a 300 hp turbo Busa.  In comparison, how much faster would this turbo bike pull on a stock Busa?  Is it a huge & noticable difference in how the bike beats a stock one?  i.e., like a Busa racing 600 or something?  Just wondering if putting $4,000 or so is really worth it, if the bike would just have mega hp, but only pull on a stock one a little bit.  
If I get beat by this new R1 crap coming out, I'd want to beef up my engine to not allow this to happen ever again.  But, I don't want to blow my wallet if it only makes a slim difference.  I know the wheelies would be great with turbo, but just how much more aggressive is the turbo bike?
If we have to explain, you wouldn't understand....

stolen from an old HD t-shirt I have...

I saw a movie with a turbo busa. He mounted a dash cam and heck... i couldn't believe in my own eyes!! The #$%"#$ bike had a TREMENDOUS acceleration when he was driving up to 160mph!!! The speedometer looked like he was running on 2nd gear at full power... That was tremendous and from that moment on, I understood that with my stock bike at 160mph a turbo Busa would just kick the hell out of me and i would be left behind in a second!

Search for that turbo Busa movie (guess it's here in hayabusa.org) and YOU WILL UNDERSTAND :)

I have it and can send it to anyone....also you can get it easily at superkaos.com on the message board under videos.

I guess the answer/point I was trying to get, was wondering if the bikes did a roll-on, if the turbo would just pull away very fast and blow it away from the stock; or, if it would just be pulling moderately away. So, the final word on that???

I also talked to a guy who races the 1/4 with a big-bore busa, (about 200 hp or so). He claims that he pulls away from the turbo's that he races all the time, because the "race is won in the 1st 60 feet" attitude. I understand that launching is really important in 1/4 races. But on the street, with a roll on in like 2nd or 3rd, could a big bore really give a turbo some competition?

the turbo usually doesn't spool up till near 4k rpm so yeah naturally a big bore should pull away slightly if the launch is at less than 4k. I think a turbo would smoke a big bore doing a roll on but I don't know for sure.

Also,
Does installing a turbo pretty much mean that you are going to be paying frequent bills to the adjustment/maint guy (since I'm not familiar with turbo maintenance)???

Does it turn a normal reliable busa, into a repair-queen?

With a 275-300 hp busa, up to what gear can you get a wheelie out of, without having to "clean & jerk" it up?
Does the turbo kick in with blunt power, so if I was in a lean-curve, would it spin the back tire to much?

I hear that if you are going to get a turbo, you should get one that doesn't slam the hp's in to hard, to fast. It is better to get one that has a linear kick in?:super:
If so, what types of turbo's can do that.

I don't think the turbo has a blunt power source....when it starts spooling up the power starts coming....coming hard but not on/off power.

I have a video of a turbo busa starting a wheelie in 3rd and wheeliing all the way through 5th at 140mph.....so yeah hold on!!!!

not sure about the maintenace.

Also,
Does installing a turbo pretty much mean that you are going to be paying frequent bills to the adjustment/maint guy (since I'm not familiar with turbo maintenance)???
-------------------------
No only if you push it to the limits. that is normal for any performance bike
-----------------------------------------------
Does it turn a normal reliable busa, into a repair-queen?
No----------------------------But it is a performance bike

With a 275-300 hp busa, up to what gear can you get a wheelie out of, without having to "clean & jerk" it up?
Does the turbo kick in with blunt power, so if I was in a lean-curve, would it spin the back tire to much?
-----------------------
Depends on your rations
16/42 you could go all 6 gears and be dead.
18/40 all 5 gears if you are not careful
---------------------------------------

I hear that if you are going to get a turbo, you should get one that doesn't slam the hp's in to hard, to fast. It is better to get one that has a linear kick in?
If so, what types of turbo's can do that.

Most turbos come on at 4,000 unless you get a huge turbo or twins.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess the answer/point I was trying to get, was wondering if the bikes did a roll-on, if the turbo would just pull away very fast and blow it away from the stock; or, if it would just be pulling moderately away. So, the final word on that???

---------------------------------------------
@ 300hp you do not need to roll on. I could give a normal Busa a long head start and still pull away.

---------------------------------------------
I also talked to a guy who races the 1/4 with a big-bore busa, (about 200 hp or so). He claims that he pulls away from the turbo's that he races all the time, because the "race is won in the 1st 60 feet" attitude. I understand that launching is really important in 1/4 races. But on the street, with a roll on in like 2nd or 3rd, could a big bore really give a turbo some competition?
-------------------------
Big Bore 220hp and up will get off the line quicker because you can pop it. You have to practice with a turbo and read the lights slide from the light and hit. I left the line way late one time killed the bike re-started and still finished at 150mph.

Back