How fast have you been?

sickly

Registered
Gentlemen (and ladies if there are any),
I get the impression we are not going fast enough. After all, why did we buy these things.
I propose some new rules.
1/ If you never go above 150 you should give your bike to someone who will.
2/ If you make a rear tyre last more than 3000 you should give the money for a new one to charity.
3/ If you're running around naked and you see a policeman (opps, sorry, wrong site).

Truthfully I bought mine for the 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, and the looks, and the 9.X 1/4 mile ON A TRACK etc. and of course the looks and such.

I've been to 135 on a bike, and 140 in my car (both on public roads) and its out of my system.  Reached a point where it wasn't worth loosing my license.  Well, that and my wife made me promise
biggrin.gif

Honestly though, top speed on public roads is just too risky in my book.  BUT I'M NOT GIVIN' MY BIKE TO ANYBODY
biggrin.gif

Gotta go run around naked now.

biggrin.gif

Sickly,

When you hit over 189mph on a GPS unit then you can talk about speed. 150mph is idling, and you get still easily get over 3000 miles on a tire safely. Plus the guys who don't go over 150mph will still enjoy the bike, don't harass them too much.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

no busa in my name yet
went 155 on a 6R though

that was fast 'nuff

im sure i'll think otherwise when i get my busa though

im with jmasin though, im ALL ABOUT accleration. i'll prolly put differnt sprokets on mine as one of my first performance bolt ons. top end is cool and all..i mean hell its what made the busa famous..but i like eyeballs being thrown to the back of my skull...stuff like that is more appealin TO ME.

my first 0-60 in 2.5 will be enough to make the seat sticky
lol

i've been 135 in my nova once. i was racing a 97 ss and he was doin 140 and slowed down a lil bit to see what i was doin and he said i was at 135. my speedo only goes to 120 it was pretty cool to see it burried lol.
it was screamin..didnt have any more Rpm's to go. she was spinnin around 6200 is the highest i saw her get. sounded mean as hell though oh god
i can still feel her rumble under me hehehe

all that on stock suspension! that pretty much scared me strait away from top speed again lol.
(after i got home, and through with the adrenaline high..i realized how stupid it was especially on 29 year old suspension parts!)

If I really knew how fast I was going, it would be helpful. Saw elsewhere where someone on this site had pegged it to 182 indicated, which was only 165 actual (according to his GPS). 10% error seems like a lot. If that is true, I've got to go a bit faster to go over 150. I don't need to go 180, but knowing I HAVE gone 150+ on two wheels is something I like.
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
I would have to agree with sickly in that regard - if we just wanted 'quick', we'd buy a Ducati. Its just that massive POWER - you have to conquer it (you know, the dam old adage about why you climb mountains -'because they're there') - some of us have this urge to crank the throttle ALL the way "Because we can!!". I'm too chicken (or should I say 'smart') to do it yet (100%)!!
nervous.gif
nervous.gif

nervous.gif

bwilken,

yes it is true about 10% error on th speedo as you climb. I is only about 55 off under 100mph.

Stay safe.

I've got a 2001 Busa which I have not yet intalled the TRE to remove the early 9000rpm rev limit from 6th gear, but I have had the bike to that limit a few times. Always on a safe road though (define safe at that speed?) I actually went by a friends house while he was outside working on his siding, at 300km/h (which is where the speed limiter cuts in, 187mph). He said it sounded cooler than it looked because his house is back about 300feet from the road and he said the sound of the bike was actually behind it about a second or so. I really love this bike.
lachen011.gif

I get the impression reading this and several similar post that some people doubt of some the statements regarding speedometer (or vehicle speed signal) error. Here is a list of some of the speedo errors of some of the bikes I own or have owned:

2001 Suzuki Hayabusa (indicates 80mph @ 72.5 mph) = +9.4%
2002 BMW K1200RS (indicates 80mph @ 73.3 mph) = +8.9%
2001 Honda CBR1100XX (indicates 80mph @ 73.9 mph) = +8.25%
1999 Honda CBR1100XX (indicates 80mph @ 73.9 mph) = +8.25% (same as my '01)
1996 Kawasaki ZX-11 (indicates approx 175mph @ 156 mph) = +12.2% (!)

The Garmin E-Map GPS is rated to have a speed measurement accuracy of 0.1 knot at any speed, so I am reasonably confident of these measurements. My observations seem consistent with the US motorcycle press that used to publish speedometer error in road tests. The magazines frequently made comments about "wildly optimistic" speedometers.

Doubters are encouraged to measure the error of their bikes themselves...

Mike

Mike,

No doubts here.

Just driving around proves it. My speedo says 90 just keeping up with traffic, and I know from driving the same roads in my car that the other people aren't all doin' 90.

Only know MPH, I was reading 205-6 ish but my official slip just read 186 mph (gutted)
Thats show room stock though
thumbs-up.gif

(now where's the Visa card
aktion035.gif
)

My main buzz is the acceleration and top gear roll-on ability.
I do get over 150 but with our congested roads have to go insearch of suitable places for sustained high-speed running. Besides twisties are fun as well.

I don't think any off us want to go this fast.

Jet Assisted Take-Off
1995 Darwin Awards Winner

The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.

The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket.
The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Ironically a still-legible bumper sticker was found, reading
"How do you like my driving? Dial 1-800-EAT-poop."

OK I think we all want to atleast break the speed limit with our bikes but remember be safe you cant be 100% but try to use your head I have been alittle over 180 several times even once with my girlfriend on the bike gets there so fast it aint funny but I am setting up a radar gun my friend has for snowmobiles on a piece of interstate up north ( there is nothing for miles up there) I will let you know if I can break 200 I dont think it will but we will see what it will do compared to the speedo the good news is I shift into 6th when my buddy hits rev limiter on his GSXR1100 in high gear

Gentlemen (and ladies if there are any),
I get the impression we are not going fast enough. After all, why did we buy these things.
I propose some new rules.
1/ If you never go above 150 you should give your bike to someone who will.
2/ If you make a rear tyre last more than 3000 you should give the money for a new one to charity.
3/ If you're running around naked and you see a policeman (opps, sorry, wrong site).
How rude
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
How does 206mph on the gps crab your azz? That would be about 221mph on your speedo. About 212mph on my speedo. Since this thread poped up again i though i would keep current.

biggrin.gif

I DONT KNOW ABOUT YOU GUYS,BUT WHEN SOMEONE ASKS ME HOW FAST I HAVE BEEN ON BUSA I TELL THEM I DONT KNOW.
ABOUT 150 OR 160 I QUIT LOOKING AT SPEEDO AND WATCH WHERE THE HELL IM GOING.

Back