How easy do Buell pegs drag?

DeermeetBusa

Registered
I am thinking about the Buell footpeg conversion but I am concerned that the pegs will drag in the twisties. I like taking corners fast but have never draged the oem peg and feeler setup...so I guess i am not a hard core knee dragger. Ive had my busa for about a year now...By the way if your not expecting to drag and you suddenly do, is the feeling so scary your first time that it might make you lose control? I know this seems like it depends on the driver and the severity of the drag but Im trying to be prepared if it ever happens. So what is it like? Are the pegs the first to drag or does the lower side take the damage? Thanks..only been riding bikes for two years now...started on a 78' suzuki gs1000 for about a year. So I guess im a  
newbie.gif

they drag alot easier than stock pegs... i scraped one of mine on the crown of the street just turning into my residental area once... scared the crap outta me! I'm not "corner carver/knee dragger" so when it happend i was not ready for it. I suppose a person without a lot of riding time on the street could possibly freak out enough that it could cause an accident, and if you hit hard enough it could upset your traction and cause you to lowside as well so be careful.

I've never dragged the Buell pegs yet, though I'm sure they would drag easier than stockers. I have had my foot touch the road in sharp corners (low speed), so the pegs gotta be close. Keep in mind you could always remove the feelers, but I wouldn't.

Never dragged a peg yet, and yes I removed the feelers! very little chicken bands showing on my tires also............ bike is also stock height, I can only imange that when I lower it this winter I will drag one next year.............
beerchug.gif

Hey, you guys that have installed and are using Buell pegs, I'm in the middle of the install. Could someone please tell me if there is a tiny bit of wiggle between the pin and the bushings AND a tiny bit of wiggle between the bushing and the Buell peg mounting holes? Not a lot, mind you, but if you hold it in the air before install, the parts would all fall out. Clearly, once all together in place (especially with the preload spring)it's not going anywhere....I just wanted to run this by you "peg veterans". Thanks in advance for any comments.

(Sloto200 @ Nov. 29 2006,17:17) they drag alot easier than stock pegs... i scraped one of mine on the crown of the street just turning into my residental area once... scared the crap outta me!  I'm not "corner carver/knee dragger" so when it happend i was not ready for it.  I suppose a person without a lot of riding time on the street could possibly freak out enough that it could cause an accident, and if you hit hard enough it  could upset your traction and cause you to lowside as well so be careful.
If they drag easier why would I want em?

just depends on youre rideing style. just a cruser they are ok if you ride hard and fast in the turns not so ok. drag and they were to low for me.
just my 2.5cents

Sure someone will come back on this one , but i've heard that you need a bushing to make them fit . The buell pegs are smaller diameter from what I hear . I'm going to go with th TRL pegs or aftermarket ones.

yes i made a bushing from a brass pipe nipple it worked for me.

Weird- mine is lowered and I have not dragged yet with 1/8" left on the edge of my Qualifiers.
rock.gif

I did not have to use a bushing on mine- with the return spring on there is nary a rattle. I DID have to clearance the thickness for it to fit.

Are we talking the Ulysses peg or the Firebolt peg? Mine is the Firebolt... and yes I removed the feeler.

P.S.- Feel of the peg on my Alpinestars is great- with weight on the peg you can't MAKE it slip, unlike the stock pegs. Great feeling when your butt is hanging off the seat...
SHOCKED.gif

Peg.JPG

man were draggin quite a bit the only time I did a track day on the busa..

in the real world.. maybe once or twice.. no big deal.

XB-12 peg is the one that is normally used... I do my share of corners and have YET to touch the peg. I have zero chicken strips as well. I am still at stock height and set very stiff ...also I removed the feeler pegs.
You should be using your body first to make the most of the turns...and then lean when needed after that....

beerchug.gif

(Shibumi @ Dec. 10 2006,16:02) Weird- mine is lowered and I have not dragged yet with 1/8" left on the edge of my Qualifiers.
rock.gif

I did not have to use a bushing on mine- with the return spring on there is nary a rattle. I DID have to clearance the thickness for it to fit.

Are we talking the Ulysses peg or the Firebolt peg? Mine is the Firebolt... and yes I removed the feeler.

P.S.- Feel of the peg on my Alpinestars is great- with weight on the peg you can't MAKE it slip, unlike the stock pegs. Great feeling when your butt is hanging off the seat...
SHOCKED.gif
So in consensus I believe the short answer to the original post would be-

Not very friggin easy!!
flamethrowingsmiley.gif

(BusaCruise @ Dec. 11 2006,18:02) XB-12 peg is the one that is normally used... I do my share of corners and have YET to touch the peg. I have zero chicken strips as well. I am still at stock height and set very stiff ...also I removed the feeler pegs.
You should be using your body first to make the most of the turns...and then lean when needed after that....

beerchug.gif
"You should be using your body first to make the most of the turns."

You cannot steer a bike using your body - you have to push on the handle bars
lurk.gif

Back