How do you want to die?

I will not die a slow, uncomfortable death and that is my choice. Preferrably by a very fast vehicle into a very solid object. My boys know that if I am in a position to have a choice and know that it's a forgone conclusion that I will go out as I lived, hard and fast.

My best friend has been taking care of his parents for the past 10 years, 24/7 for the last 3 years. Father had alzheimer's and mother had failing health. They were both 89 this year. He lost his father in August, went in and took a nap that he didn't wake up from. Very peaceful. He lost his mother the week before Christmas and it was about the same, she woke up coughing at 3am, he got her straightened out and went back to sleep. At 6am he woke up and she didn't. For both of them it was probably the best way that they could go. The problem was that he did everything he could to keep them alive. He has enough money to do whatever was necessary but I don't believe either one of them wanted to be kept alive at all costs. I tried to get him to deal with that several times in the past few years but he persisted in doing whatever he could to keep them around. They were married almost 70 years and when his father died, his mother told him many times that she was done, wanted out. He is just starting to realize that the last years of their lives were not their best by a long shot. Fallenarch, you really need to speak plainly and upfront with your mother about what is best for her sister.

TallTom, you are a great son, I can only pray that my sons follow your lead. What you have done is a great service to both your parents, no-one could ask more from their children.

When Mom died from Cancer she awoke in the middle of night with all of us. She told us that her father and mother was standing by her bed with all her friends that had long ago passed. She sang a song with us and asked the Family if it's ok for her to go. She was scared. WE encouraged her to seek the light that was in front of her. Mom all ways believed in Christ and had a strong relationship with him. She was more concerned about or well being then going forward with her walk with Christ. It was the MOST spiritual experience all of us have ever had. She was 71 when God Called Her. She had a FULL Life and Died with all her children surrounding her. When it's my time I hope that all my Grand Kids and Friends are there.

My Father on the other hand Died in a Hospital after living in a care home at 91. They Wiped his Ass and Fed him like a child. After Mom Died he stopped caring. He often told me "When it God going to take me ?" Mom Died at home and Dad in a Hospital. I guess when it's Your Time..........It's Your Time !!!

I agree dying at home is the best way....To answer your question though, it would be ideal to know when it's happening so you can get your affairs in order, say your goodbyes, etc....The best is to realize today might be the last day and live accordingly.

Exactly! Seize the moment and live!

At home or in my garage. I have had this talk yo my lady and told her if I get in a bad accident on the bike that if the only way to live was on a machine then just pull the plug because that's not living to me. Or mowing the lawn, its weird the older I get the more I enjoy. I find it peaceful

If the choice is Alzheimers or a skydive that doesn't end - I'd rather fly....

At home or in my garage. I have had this talk yo my lady and told her if I get in a bad accident on the bike that if the only way to live was on a machine then just pull the plug because that's not living to me. Or mowing the lawn, its weird the older I get the more I enjoy. I find it peaceful

Stop it!
You're makin me feel old now, at 35!
I know I'm getting old as I now really appreciate a good riding mower...and actually enjoy it now myself(strange this growning up thing).
So we're out cuttin the grass, you grab your chest, drop your beer, run over the wife's flowers, and crash into her car:rofl:
What a way to go!
Find the humor in everything! Life is too short!
If I go on bike I hope somebody recorded the crash! Hey, watch this idiot!:laugh::beerchug:

Sorry for those with recent losses and tribulations. My mom was in the emergency room Christmas Eve. She is doing better now I am glad to say. Of all the ways to check out, TallTom's dad's story sounds like one of the best. Reminds me of a joke my dad used to tell. I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfater... not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car. :laugh:

Ball of flames for me! I don't want to wither or be a burden for others!!!

My signature on the local sportbike forum (i thought it was here too) goes like this:

Fear not "death", fear "not living"!

Willie.....Those places are awful and I don’t blame her one bit for wanting to leave. I was 29 when I had my wreck and I spent the last 7 weeks of my hospital stay in a place just like that. With an external fixator still on my foot I was "too broken" for a regular rehab facility but "too healthy" for a hospital. I was in limbo waiting to get that stupid thing off my foot so I could be cleared by the doctor to start rehab and learn to walk again. As far as retirement centers goes the place I was in is a nice one (I’ve seen lots of crappy ones because my wife used to work in them) and it sucked; it was the worst feeling in the world and I KNEW I was getting out. Your Aunt doesn’t know if she’s going to get out and that scares the crap out of her. If I was in my golden years I most certainly would rather go home and die in my bed than be stuck in a place like that.

The best advice I can give you and your family is that you guys get a clear understading of her final wishes and take an active role in her care. Take turns visiting her and make detailed notes of what the doctors and nurses tell you so they can’t back out of things later. Have someone take over as the “head person” of her care…let’s say that’s you…every time someone goes to visit her and a doctor or nurse said something about her care it got put in the notes and reported to you; this allows you to question things that don’t go according to plan. I guaranty you (and cannot stress this enough) that the patients with the most visitors get’s the best care!!! The people who never have family come visit are the ones left to rot in their own filth the longest. If the staff think there’s a good chance you’re going to show up they will keep her more presentable. Call the nurses’ station everyday or every other day to check on her status… every now and then let them know you’re on the way and don’t really show up; it will keep them on their toes and help your Aunt.

First, I'm so sorry that any friends here have this type of situation going on. It's heartbreaking to watch loved ones suffer. In my Dad's final days, our battle went from trying to keep him comfortable to trying to just keep him at home, not wanting his last moments to be in a hospital. I had to keep my sister grounded, watching things unfold that neither of us EVER thought we'd have to see...keep him here...that was all I was focused on until he finally succumbed.

Watching my Dad only solidified my firm belief in the right of an individual to decide when they've had enough...pretty sure my Dad's time was done long before his body let him go. There's a lot to be said for going with dignity and under your own terms, but sadly, we only allow these rights to our pets, not those able-minded humans that want to stop suffering. They're us something inherently wrong with that. IMHO...

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

186-0 in .05 Seconds. All I need is a little help to get on the bike and start moving and I'll be good to go!:thumbsup:

Willie IMHO! It's your relative too. So I would voice my opinion. I lost my dad to cancer two years ago (he was 53). Me and my mom agreed that we were taking care of him until the end. His death was hard on everyone but, the most affected was grandpa ( his father) who lived with was since I was a little kid. He only had two kids and My dad was his only boy. He was never the same again even though I told him not worry about anything 'cause I wasn't going to turn my back on him and mom. After dad passed they both stayed with me. He got real sick while visiting his daughter out of town and she just left him at the hospital and was then trying to put him in one of those homes and I said OVER MY DEAD BODY. She eventually agreed to keep him at her house and we would go help out when we could. He was diagnose with long cancer and passed a little over a year of the passing of my father but, at least he passed surround by loved ones at home. He was 89.

its sad that we can put our pets who are loved ones out of their misery when they get old and suffer but we cannot do the same for people who are also our loved ones. there is nothing medical about it. its all this religious crap that makes people suffer. really pathetic.

First off, I'm sorry to hear of any individual and family going through that(I have been there myself).

"85 or so" though, I think is in the range alot of us assume that we'll live to, or more.
Assuming that nothing else gets us in the meantime.
I respectfully say that is a bad misconception.
As many of us will live long lives, many of us won't.
Healthy young people drop dead every day, and people that drink and smoke all their life live to be 100.
Reality is that no one know'w what the future holds. The future being the next 30 seconds or the next 30 years.
It's great to have a positive attitude, take care of your health, and plan to live a long life. But you never know when the end is coming, by your own carelessness or someone else's, or that your body just gives out.
Personally, I thank GOD daily for the health of my family as well as my own. I ask Him that we all live to see my daughter grown. Otherwise, I'm happy and at peace. We may go slowly and see death approaching, or be gone in the blink of an eye.
Get right with GOD today, or if you're a non beliver, then make peace with yourself and accept the inevitable.:beerchug:

I couldn't agree more
Life all together is an amazing Journey. Yes it has ups that leave us breathless in amazement and overwhelmed with joy and excitement, but the.... it also is has downs. The kind the Fallenarch describes and so often seem so unfair, so uncalled for. Life isn't for ever and for that reason its up to us to make the most of it as we've only been given one life to live.
I can't sum it up any better then this though "Philippians 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

i have held the hands and sang the songs for many as they passed into the other world.
i am the one they call to do these things. i dont know why, but they do. and i go.

death is just part of life, the crappy part.

now to answer the question..
when my time comes close i will load up my semi van with a 300+ streamliner, and head to Wendover.
drop off the bike at one end and the van at the other and see if i can hit 400 before i hit the trailer. :race:
i want to be the 1st 100yr old to ride over 300mph. :beerchug:

Back